how much boost on stock

dpoole5074

Hey there I recently got a 04 ss and installed a whipple supercharger and has the 3 3/4 pulley and only running 3-4 boost, whipple recommended going to a 3.5 pulley to get 5-6....what is the limit on my 6.0 enginel with everything stock...can I run more boost or should I stay around the 5-6 range...any advice will be great, thanks

My understanding is the engine will hold 8 lbs or lower just fine. Anymore and you should beef some things up.

It's your transmission that's gonna take a dump on you if its still stock.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

Hey thanks guys for the quick reply's, my injectors are 50lbs and when we tune, it is on the dyno....my dyno guy says that he can increase the line pressure and converter pressure by way of the computer when he tunes....what should I do to help the tranny if I am thinking of going up to a 8-10 psi area.....

A lot of guys will tell you to just go 4l80. I think a nicely built 4l65/70 will hold very very well. You can start with a shift kit and servos. Almost forgot! Get a bigger trans cooler. Anything more you will need to drop the trans and do a full rebuild which will hold under power. Replacing clutch packs, bands, sunshell, ect. If your wanting to get serious you can replace input/output shafts with billet ones but its not needed unless big big power.

Most go with a FLT trans. A rebuild of your own vs a price of one of these is about the same.

If you do drop the trans ever its always nice to toss in a higher stall than stock.

Edited by TampaVmax (see edit history)

so for now just playing with it around town and not really racing the truck...if I went with and 8-10 psi pulley will my engine and tranny be okay until i deciede which way I am going....also I am going to upgrade the tranny cooler

If you didn't rag on it then yes it will prob be fine. Transmissions in our trucks are finicky though. Sometimes you get one that will hold for a while then sontimes that first time you jump on it will be the last.

I would still recommend shift kit, servos, new pinless accumulators, and a tranny cooler.