SS vs. Lightning an Owners Opinion

MN C5

Just got the SS yesterday, Black with all the options. It's hard to compare the two trucks. the Lightning lacks refinement and but offsets that with acceleration. The SS on the other hand is very refined, the ride difference lack of wind or tire noise when compared to the Lightning is striking. I just thought I would break down some of the qualities of the two trucks

Dash Layout`````````SS

Seats``````````````SS

Cab Feel````````````SS

Stereo`````````````SS!! hands down

Handling````````````Lightning (The SS ride quality Hurts it Here)

Acceleration`````````Lightning :D (The SS will need 500+ HP to get into the 12's)

Fun Factor ``````````Lightning

Seats 3+````````````SS

Traction`````````````SS

Daily Driver ``````````SS

It will take another DOSE of HP to put the SS in competition with a stock Lightning. But then again I don't think to many Lightnings are still stock either...

I'm considering having DRM install a 427 in my SS. I already have two large cube C5R motors am thinking it would be fun to install a magnason on top of a big cube motor in a SS. Doug Rippie Motorsports will be using my truck to see if any power can be had with computer programing

Lowering the truck 2 inches front and back would really help the looks of the SS. Anyone have any pics of a lowered SS yet or one with some chrome wheels????

I know what you mean about the performance being the Lightning's strong point. When I was shopping trucks(before SS was available, but had been announced) before buying the Harley I looked at the Lightning and it was fast and handled great, but the Harley (in my opinion) won every other segment. It was hard to turn away from all that performance but at the pice I got the Harley(33k) for I figured I could do some of the same mods the Lightning boys were doing. Maybe call Chapman Chevy in Phoenix about the Radix supercharger for your SS. If I get the Trailblazer SS for my wife I may consider that. Enjoy.

Interesting comparison. Although I have not driven or rode in a Lightning, I have heard the ride is harsh and the truck in general is not that refined (sqeaks rattles, etc.). I am adding a Whipple to my SS, and will let you all know how it does at the track after that :D

My brother has a 2003 Lightning (traded his 2002) and I have an SS. I also would agree, as would he.

You see, unlike most people with, my brother and I respect our descisions on vehicles. He knows why I own an SS and I know why he owns a Lightning (he also owns a 4x4 F150 for the winter). We also both realize we each have enough money to buy whichever we wanted (L, H, or SS). I read this forum and just laught at the stupid comments. You would think that people made their trucks themselves from scratch! People have to remember that we buy vehicles... not make them... and we can buy what we want. If all I cared about was going fast I would buy a used camaro and put enough toys on it to go as fast I want... and still spend less then my SS. I bought an SS for many different reasons and it was a better fit for me than the L and H. Don't get me wrong, I think the L & H are great vehicles, but the SS is a better fit! That's my opinion.

Oh, and in Canada the H and SS are about the same price... not 6-7 grand different. Plus the SS is a way better deal in Canada then the US. 41000 US list vs 54000 CAN list (35% difference vs and exchange rate of 50%). So in two years the americans will be paying for my new truck! Same with the L. My brother traded a 10 month old truck with almost bald tires for hardly any difference because those silly americans paid top dolar for his used... the 'one' plus to being canadian with vehicles.

Wife and I recently trade our 2002 Lightning and 2001 Monte SS (leased) and we bought a new Infiniti FX 35 (wife wanted) so we could have 1 payment. I agreed to this with one stipulation, I can get the new genenration Lightning when it arrives. Now I am thinking about looking at the Silverado SS and wondered what realy turned you on or off and do you think Chevrolet will be changing the front end next year?

I hope the Silverado lives up to the SS moniker, because I was not happy about our Monte SS's lack of speed and it was basically the same as other Montes.

Thanks for your input and enjoy your new SS!

sarge

I agree with MN C5 on the Lightning. I had one.. Very fast stock, wothless stereo, no sound deadening, poor paint, never ending cracked fog lights, etc. Mine was a daily driver and it was very comfortable and a blast to drive. The ride was, well, like a sport truck. The only time I thought it was harsh was after driving something else but man was it fun to drive in the twisty mountain roads. :thumbs:

While I don't own an SS or will soon, (I have an 03 Avalanche) Chevy has out engineered Ford in all respects. Why do you think Ford is finally redesigning their line? Ever try to change plugs on a Lightning? Takes 3 hours even IF you know what you're doing!

Now I am thinking about looking at the Silverado SS and wondered what realy turned you on or off and do you think Chevrolet will be changing the front end next year?

They built four 2004 Pilot trucks during the week of Feb 24th and the front end is the same, so no new front end.

Now I am thinking about looking at the Silverado SS and wondered what realy turned you on or off and do you think Chevrolet will be changing the front end next year?

They built four 2004 Pilot trucks during the week of Feb 24th and the front end is the same, so no new front end.

:cool: Good for those of us who have a 2003!

I agree with MN C5 on the Lightning. I had one.. Very fast stock, wothless stereo, no sound deadening, poor paint, never ending cracked fog lights, etc. Mine was a daily driver and it was very comfortable and a blast to drive. The ride was, well, like a sport truck. The only time I thought it was harsh was after driving something else but man was it fun to drive in the twisty mountain roads. :thumbs:

While I don't own an SS or will soon, (I have an 03 Avalanche) Chevy has out engineered Ford in all respects. Why do you think Ford is finally redesigning their line? Ever try to change plugs on a Lightning? Takes 3 hours even IF you know what you're doing!

Ford didn't just sit in their big offices till last week and then said "gee, we are outengineered in our truck line....... I think we better redesign them." Everybody redesigns their vehicles. When the new F150 came out in 1997 it was the pinnacle in its class.......... then GM came out with their new trucks in '99 and they were the pinnacle............. and so-on...... and so-on. When the '04 F150 comes out, it will be the pinnacle till GM redoes theirs again.

Thus, noone beats anyone. One is just on top for a while and gives the other the new level to shoot for.

Fords interiors are usually nicer (note I said usually....... as in they were nicer than the GM trucks when they came out in '97 as the GM interiors at that time were rather awful), however GM's are currently nicer. The '04 F150 interior will far outdo any other truck manufacturer when it comes out...... but it won't last for long. GM trucks usually ride nicer........... again, not always.

It's just different strokes for different folks. Thank goodness........ think of how boring life would be if everyone had the same vehicles. :nono:

I think the paint quality on my '01L is very good (especially compared to how my '94 Lightning was)......... however it is nothing compared to my new '03 Tribute. Thank goodness things get better as the years go by.

The friendly bickering back and forth between Chevy and Ford truck owners is always fun (provided it is kept good natured). The funniest thing being that truck owners are the most faithful repeat buyers......... so all of this bickering is just for conversation sake......... it really changes noones mind about anything.

Hmmmmm, wonder what I am........... a Ford or GM truck person???? We have a '68 Chevy C10 longbed, a '69 Ford F250 CC 4x4, a '78 Chevy C10 longbed, a '93 Ford Explorer, and the '01 Lightning. :D

Archived