Is the SS suspension much diff than the 1500?

jayb

Hi Guys, I am wondering if anyone can tell me if the suspension on the SS is much different than say a 1500 4x4. Both have torsions up front correct?

Just wondering what GM did, if anything to the SS. They allways seem lower than the 4x4 1500's. Could never figure out if it was suspension changes from the factory, or just the 20" rim/tire package that makes em look lower.

I also believe there isnt a 2" block in the rear like on the 4x4 right?

Thanks

JayB

When I had my 04 LT I wanted to do some mild work to get the truck to sit like the ss. At the dealer near me we used my vin number and one from an 04 ss on the lot.

I was told the lower front control arms were different as well as the torsion bars. I think a larger sway bar for the front.

The rear uses the same springs hangers but deleates the spring blocks and uses shorter ubolts.

All 4 shocks are also upgraded.

If someone wanted to get a standard LS/LT 4x4 to sit like a SS just remove the bolts and blocks from the rear end and get the shorter rear bolts. Turn out the front torsion bars to lower the front approx 1/2 - 3/4 inch. Install better shocks and ss wheels or ones of your choice and there you go.

A word of warning though. If you adjust the torsion bars lower the more you go the more sloppy the ride will be. The shocks will help but the front will still be softer. You will also need an alignment.

Happy motoring :driving:

i took out the rear blocks on my z71 and lowered the front torsions bars a little. it sits almost as low as an SS. its about 1" higher all around. i'm going to get the mcgaughys kit in the spring so i can lower even more and with the front spindles i'll be able to raise the torsions back up. it does make the front a lot bouncier which is really annoying when blasting down a real bumpy highway at 90mph. heres a pic : http://www.chevytruckworld.com/gallery/qwank/137313.jpg

Thanks for the help guys. I just bought an 04 4x4. I love the way the SS looks...just wish it came in a regular cab shortbed (Plus I got a smokin deal on my 1500 4x4)

Was just wondering how to lower my truck a bit.

Qwank, nice truck! Thats what i was planning on doing to mine. (removing the 2" block, and adjusting the torsion bars....but I really dont want to screw with the ride.)

Maybe I'll get the McG's spindles before I do anything. I was also trying to find a set of SS wheels, as I have the crappy crome 16 ichers.

Thanks again!

JayB

• 2 weeks later...

Another difference between the 4X4 and the SS is the leaf springs. The 4X4 and Z71 have 5 leaves but the SS and VHO only have 3. If you remove the 2" block only and don't remove any leaves, your factory ride quality will be maintained. If you remove the "overload spring" you can achieve an even ride height, similar to the SS but you'll have a much softer ride and lose some stability when carrying a heavy load in the bed.

Archived