Island Dragway Closed

Hankg42

For a lot of us in the NY / NJ area, this is bad news. It wasn't the best track around, but often you could get lots of runs in on a test & tune day. Only Atco and Englishtown left in NJ now. :(

http://bangshift.com...k-ass-news.html

Edit: BTW, read the article. There was some history made there!

Edited by Hankg42 (see edit history)

My first job (that I claimed taxes on) was painting the grandstands at Island Dragway. At 16 Y/O I was in charge of "The Bridge", only letting cars with numbers into the pit. I felt like a big shot with that job. The only job I didn't care for was scraping the rubber off the bleech box after a big event weekend.

I have pictures of me at 8 years old at the track with my father. A sure piece of history is now gone.

I remember borrowing my mother's 88 Dodge Monico one weekend when I was 18 and entering into the bracket race. I made it into the semi-finals before breaking out against some 12 second mustang. I remember being scared that I would win and get my name in the paper...never again allowed to borrow mom's car. Good times for sure

On the other hand, the recent management was piss poor and ran the track into the ground. Shameful. I will not name names but the "K" family needed to wake-up.

My truck at Island:

img_0059.jpg

Mark and Dan at Island:

img_0817.jpg

Eddie Mack. and I tearing it up:

th_kevinVSeddie.jpg

http://s191.photobucket.com/albums/z258/krambo74/?action=view&current=kevinVSeddie.mp4