Question for those who have sold, or are thinking about selling their

diggerdan11

So I have a couple questions for those who have sold or are thinking about selling their SS's.

Those who have sold: Do you miss your SS's? Do you kick yourself for getting rid of a truck that we will most likely never see again?

For Those who are thinking about selling: Do you think long an hard about how you may kick yourself if you sold it? Are you afraid if you sell it you will be upset a few years down the road that you got rid of a truck that will never bee seen again?

The reason I ask is I have been thinking about the possibility of getting rid of my SS for a while now. I really really enjoy driving my SS when I actually drive it (it has been in storage for 2 months). As with any vehicle the SS has pros and cons. Its fast and fun and very cool, but it also wont go off road, cant take it hunting, or to the dump, or really use it like a real truck. I am constantly afraid of getting it dirty or scratched. To me having and SS is more like having and El Camino. Its more like a car that happens to have a truck bed. But it does have the AWD so that's a plus, but I have a Tahoe I can drive in the Winter.

I have also hit a wall when it comes to modifications. I would really like it to go faster but I really cant afford to buy a turbo or Supercharger or upgrade the transmission. I am in the middle of a house remodel and my wife is a full time student. But do I really need to have more HP? Do I really need a performance truck?

On one hand I think it would be smart to get rid of it and buy a real truck that I can use year round, take off road, go hunting, tow, haul the dogs, go to the dump etc... On the other hand I have a Tahoe and it can do many of the things that a truck can do except of course haul stuff in the bed. With my house remodel I have been using a bed more and more than usual.

I have thought about buying a Duramax but, I really don't need to spend the extra money on the diesel, because a 5.3L will do anything that I need. I occasionally tow a 18' boat and a trailer that hold 3 quads, the 5.3L in the Tahoe pulls these thing perfectly fine.

I found a 2003 1500HD with only 50k (40k less than the SS) miles on it, that would be a great replacement. It still has the LQ4 and the 4L80e so it has plenty of power, I can put a nice exhaust and tune it, and it would be a great truck. I can take it off road, to the dump, hunting, tow, haul the dogs in the back or the CC, and make runs to home depot. I know that I would be very happy with this truck, I could trade the SS straight across for it since the values are around the same. And the Tahoe is not worth very much, has lots of problems, and as 150K miles on it.

So I have 3 choice I am contemplating.

#1 Keep the SS, and Keep the Tahoe

Pros: Get to keep the SS and be able to beat up the Tahoe

Cons: 2 Insurance Payments, Storage payment. Tahoe does not have a bed for hauling, and it has some problems that need to be fixed

#2 Trade the SS strait across for the 1500HD and Sell the Tahoe

Pros: No payments, and I can pocket the cash from the sell of the Tahoe for my house as well as a few minor mods to the new truck. The 1500HD is a "Real Truck"

Cons: I would no longer have the SS

#3 Keep the SS and trade the Tahoe in for the 1500HD

Pros: Would still keep the SS, would get rid of the problem Tahoe, and I would have a "Real Truck"

Cons: Car Payment (would not be huge), 2 Insurances, Storage Unit cost.

So Im just trying to get some advice from you guys and see what you all think. If I had a regular Silverado with the 5.3L ECSB I would trade it in for the 1500HD in a second (of course i would never have had the Tahoe if i had a regular 1500), but I have and SS and I will never be able to replace it.

I've thought about it alot too but came to the conclusion of keeping it.. I treat the SSS as a rare sports car and don't even think of it as a truck anyways. So in essense its like I have a corvette or other similar sports car but its a truck.... To compensate for those issues I bought a 2001 silverado 2500HD with the 8.1L and the allison transmission for 7K and those problems went away...

Only cons is the gas milage but it it gets 12-15mph whether I am pulling a house or nothing at all. I have gotten rid of a lot of things in the past that I regreted but I have seen thick and thin with my SSS. It used to be my DD when i first bought it and since moved back to MN it has had its well deserved retirment and always garage kept.

If you love your truck you will regret it and everytime you see an SSS you will almost shed a tear and tell stories to your children and grandchildren that you once had the badest of the bad trucks ever built and it will only be a story rather than opening an old storage shed at 75 years old and seeing a dusty cover and prestine hot rod of a truck to show your family. lol long but I hope it gets the point across at least thats how I feal about my truck. But then again my truck will be a 10 second truck one day and only for shows and playing on nice sunny days 5 months out of the year.

Edited by 2003_SuperSport (see edit history)

I will use a guitar story for this one !!! I custom designed a Fender Telecaster from Fender custom shop and paid a lot of money for it by far the nicest best playing guitar I ever owned, Much like your SSS !!! I got an itch for something different and the only way to get the new stuff was sell the Tele !!! And to this day I kick myself in the ass for ever getting rid my baby, I dont think I will ever get over it !!! But life goes on !!! You have to do whats best for you and your family !!!

I pick #3 !!! My .02 !!!

sounds like your gonna keep the SS. ditch the Tahoe and buy the 1500hd

Yeah #3 is my favorite option, but that means another $300 a month car payment. I can afford that, but that is $3600 a year that could be going into my house. I am trying to get my house ready to sell, so when my wife graduates from college (june 2015) we can sell it and move on to something better

Another thing i forgot to factor into the previous post it my 1969 C/20. I have 2 play toys the 1969 and the SS, do I really need both? Maybe having a nice classic 1969 Chevy truck will be better than having a 2005 Silverado SS as a play toy.

BTW this is the truck Im talking about. There is only one major problem with it. Its black LOL Told myself I would never own another black truck. I lke the cloth bench (may add a center conslole) and not having carpet could be a very good thing especially during the winter and during hunting season.

http://www.cascadeau...1567633304f.htm

Edited by diggerdan11 (see edit history)

Being a home owner myself, I'm gonna say option #2 cause you sound like you really would rather safe money vs. waste it on multiple vehicles.

I'm kinda is the same boat as you Dan except I own 4 vehicles (we have 7 total between the wife and I). It seems like such a waste to pay gas, up-keep, and insurance on them all. I have been back and forth on what I would buy to replace the SSS with. Seems like a GM 1/2 ton with the 5.3 will do anything I need/want it to do (but will I be happy) As long as I keep vehicles for, I can justify spending $$$ to get something that I really want, either a Denali P/U or a GM 3/4 Duramax CC and get me down to only 2 vehicles.

Yeah #2 makes the most financial sense, since I will not have to pay the extra insurance, or cost of storage of my SS, or have to make a payment if i just trade in the Tahoe.

If i have a payment it might delay my Kitchen for a year or two (was trying to do it this next summer), but i guess its not something that has to be done ASAP just done before I try to sell it.

I can always save up and wait to fix my kitchen but Im affraid if I keep putting it off and putting it off its never going to get done, adn I will never have the money to get it done.

Wow hard decision. I'm thinking 3. But then again have thought about getting rid of my SS. I know I would regret it. You have to do what's best for you and your family. You can alway get another SS down the road if you regret it that much. GL with the decision.

The only problem with the duramax is maintenance is very expensive, you are looking over $200 for and oil change/ fuel filter replacement.

Besides that there are so many pipes/ hoses it makes simple part replacement difficult.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

So I just talked to my dad to see what he thought about the idea. His concern is that there are some strange things going on at the company we both work for, and it might not be the best idea to have to worry about another payment.

Basically the company I work for is moving their north american headquarters from Oregon to North Carolina, and I have no idea what that means for me. They announced that there will be 142 new jobs in Charlotte, well their are only about 200 "corporate people" working at the current headquarters (including myself), so that means they may want to move my group to Charlotte, or it could mean I am out of a job come the first of the year. Or nothing may change for me at all.

Last thing I want to do is add another payment, then get laid off a couple weeks or months later. So I have to think about that very carefully before I make a decision.