Diesel SS - Wilmington NC

New here and building the SS that GM should have. Truck is a 2005 Chevy 2500 Extended Cab Short Bed with more done than I will ever remember to list out but will try:

Performance:

• Block - cleaned, painted, decked, torque plate bored and honed .020" over, align honed, new cam bearings.
  • Rotating Assembly - keyed and polished crank, Carillo Rods, Mahle high performance cast .020" over 15.5:1 pistons with valve reliefs, BD flexplate, ATI Dampner
  • Heads - LBZ heads originally done by DPR then added rocker studs, Hamilton valve springs and pushrods
  • SoCal 6460 Cam
  • ARP head and main studs
  • Clevite H bearings
  • Custom remote mount filter and oil cooler setup.
  • Fuel System - Exergy 12mm CP3, 100% over injectors, ported fuel rails, AirDog 150
  • 3" boost tubes, BD intercooler, Custom LBZ Y-bridge
  • Polished ceramic coated PPE manifolds and up-pipes, and Pro-Fab gated pedestal
  • BullsEye Double Bat S475 - 83mm turbine in polished ceramic 1.0AR turbine housing
  • ED wastegate
  • DA down-pipe
  • DA 5" custom intake
  • 4" exhaust with 3 mufflers
  • Custom trans build with Precision Industries DA series converter - high stall with aggressive coupling
  • Yukon Grizzly Locker in rear with 3.42 gears
  • E-Locker in front with 3.42 gears

th_2012-05-10_08-22-12_164.jpg th_2012-05-10_08-22-02_441.jpg th_2012-10-11_14-32-36_146.jpg th_2012-11-01_09-50-50_123.jpg th_2012-11-01_09-51-05_250.jpg

th_2012-11-01_10-23-52_109.jpg th_2012-11-01_10-24-01_597.jpg th_2012-11-07_17-08-54_201.jpg th_2012-11-07_18-00-41_240.jpg th_2012-11-07_18-00-57_312.jpg

Handling and Braking:

• Torsion bar Delete
  • QA1 DD401 Double Adjustable Coil-Over Shocks - with COM8T-102PK heavy duty bearings in thetop and bottom, and a 7888-110 thrust bearing and spanner wrench set for easy height adjustment
  • HyperCo 10B0900 Springs - 10" free length, 2.5" ID, 900 lb spring rate
  • DJM 3" drop Lower Control Arms - to correct lower ball joint angle
  • McGauphy's 2" drop spindles - to have the best upper ball joint, UCA, and tie rod angles possible for my ride height
  • DA/Watson Fab Front cross member
  • DA tie rod sleeves and reinforced centerlink with PPE Pitman and Idler Support kit
  • Hellwig 7654 front sway bar
  • Custom 6" rear drop - Modified and moved front spring mounts up 5" on frame, modify and move shackle hangars up 5" on frame to tuck them behind the roll pan, 1" drop shackles, stock spring pack
  • QA1 DD901 Double Adjustable rear shocks
  • Hellwig 7281 rear sway bar kit - modified for lowered rear
  • DA Traction bars
  • Nitto 420S 305-40R22 tires
  • Wilwood front and rear brake kits - 16" drilled and slotted rotors, Black 6 piston calipers (fixed mount), SS braided lines

th_2012-07-02_13-58-00_124.jpg th_2012-10-03_16-28-07_960.jpg th_2012-10-03_16-27-56_77.jpg th_2012-10-03_16-27-46_781.jpg

th_2012-10-03_15-58-30_357.jpg th_2012-10-03_15-58-10_203.jpg th_2012-10-04_08-08-36_766.jpg

Looks

Outside:

• Custom 4/6 Drop - described above
  • Milanni Kool-Whip 8s - 22x9.5 black/machined with +18mm offset
  • Nitto 420S 305-40R22 tires
  • Roll Pan - with custom hitch hidden behind license plate
  • True SS front bumper - color matched with Street Scene black chrome speed grill inserts
  • Grill - Color matched with Street Scene Black Chrome speed grill inserts and black chrome bow-tie
  • SS body panels and removed flares
  • Street Scene Cal-Vu mirrors - color matched
  • Debadged - no badges, 4x4 stickers, or body moldings
  • 2.5 x 5" oval Black Chrome exhaust tip - cutting rear quarter panel with pocket welded in and smoothed, tip tucked into pocket with 1/2" spacing and flush with body
  • Lund Tri-fold soft tonneau and possibly a bed rug
  • Tinted headlights with no amber, 9011 HIR bulbs in highs and lows
  • Recon Smoked Dark Red LED tail lights
  • DA Graphics all around metallic silver with very small dark burnt orange outline

Engine Bay:

• Firewall - cleaned up and painted black
  • Polished Ceramic Coating -everything exhaust related, as seen above + downpipe
  • Polished compressor housing
  • Metallic Charcoal Gray - Accessory brackets
  • Dark Burnt Orange accents - Intake runners, Y-bridge, valve covers, boost tubes, etc
  • All Chrome or stainless - socket cap bolts, washers, nuts, etc.
  • Polished Aluminum - Fabricated coolant tank, altenator, AC compressor, ECM, TCM, FICM, etc.

Underneath:

• Frame - stripped and painted black
  • Metallic Charcoal Gray -Trans casing
  • Black and Gray speckled - Lower control arms, sway bars, steering parts, traction bars and rear mounts, DA/Watson Fab front crossmember, DA Transmission crossmember
  • Dark Burnt Orange and Machined PPE rear diff cover, shallow trans pan, and PTO covers
  • Custom welded and smooth frame mounts for Traction bars
  • Custom battery mount with both batteries on inside of passenger frame rail.

Interior - will be the last thing to be done, but eventually:

• ISSPRO Performax Gauges R68000 series - Boost, Pyro, Drive on dash; Fuel Rail, Lift pump, Oil temp up pillar
  • US Speedo Gauge cluster done to match the white face, red pointer, black numbers and green lighting of the ISSPROs
  • In Dash DVD/Nav - probably Kenwood
  • Embroidered Diesel Addiction Logo into head rest covers in silver
  • Maybe Custom two tone leather
  • Maybe the dash surround and steering wheel in smooth gloss black or something

Goal is a very clean, smooth, and subtle look - no bling, nothing that stands out like a big ram air hood, vertical grill, or escalade front end; just simple yet very different than stock.

Rear brake rotors weren't on and will push the wheels out some in the back, SS bumper needs relocated:

th_2012-10-09_17-12-45_725.jpg th_2012-10-09_17-12-11_995.jpg th_2012-10-04_08-08-36_766.jpg th_2012-10-19_16-52-15_579.jpg

th_2012-11-07_17-08-54_201.jpg th_2012-10-30_10-11-23_44.jpg th_2012-10-30_10-16-35_4.jpg

What got me on this forum is that I am thinking about removing the flares and doing the full SS body panels to make it a full SS clone. I already had a roll pan and found that BSER may be the only roll pan that will fit with the SS cladding so I joined to keep my eye out for one or to talk Bob into making another batch.

Wow is all I can say man, that's awesome! Definitely do the SS cladding, that would be awesome.

For the bser roll pan, try this thread.

http://www.silveradoss.com/forums/index.php?/topic/79338-BSER-Rollpans-12-2012

Edited by The_aSSet (see edit history)

Looks like a great build keep us all posted so we can see your progress

I got the truck pretty much finished up mechanically and have been driving it for about a week. I have the drop spindles on the way because without them the tie rod and UCA angles werebad and it was killing my turning radius and wouldn't have been able to be aligned. The rubber bushings that came on the top of the QA1 stud top adapters pushed right throught the hole in the shock bucket so I have some Energy Suspension Polyurenthane replacements on the way to test out before giving up on using a stud at the top (and being able to run a longer shock than I could otherwise). Without a 1000 lb motor and 350 lb trans you guys would probably be much better off.

Wow is all I can say man, that's awesome! Definitely do the SS cladding, that would be awesome.

I am definitely doing the cladding. I got in touch with Bob and have him making 12 roll pans - 2 for me (keeping a spare if they are this hard to get) and the other 10 will go up for sale. It took at least 10 to cover the mold and let him break even and I knew he had a hard time getting everyone to start paying so he could get started. Figured I'd foot the bill and let you guys buy them from me as you had the money.

cool build . i like the coil overs up front. i dont know much about diesels but sounds like cool stuff.

sweet project. looks like its going to haul ass. id do the full ss cladding swap. will you be running a compound setup on this or twins?

No compounds (which most diesel guys incorrectly call twins) or true twins. Just a BullsEye Power Double Bat S475 single turbo. Will push a little over 60 PSI of boost and shooting to make 1000 rwhp as soon as I get some miles on the motor and get the tuning dialed in. I will never run any compound setup on any of my trucks. In my opinion a properly sized single will fit 99% of people's needs for towing and performance.

Diesel power!!!! LBZ+

Can't wait to see the turnout, how often are you planning on driving it after done.

This one is not an LBZ, 2500's got the "2006" front end in 2005, which is what this one is - so it is an LLY. At this point the ECM, FICM, and injectors are about the only thing making it an LLY though. The rest is aftermarket and is the same you would use to build an LBZ or any other engine model. This truck is my daily driver and has been driven every day since I finished it and will continue to be. I have another 2005 Duramax 4x4 that we chopped from a RCLB to a RCSB and are building into the shop race truck. That one will be less show and all go - shooting for 4500 lbs with me in it and mid 8s of better in the 1/4 mile.

Off to a wicked start. Looks like those coilovers bolt right in with the djm lca? No modification needed? I might end up having to do that as well lol. Did you leave the torsion key cross member in still?

I beefed up the shock mount on the DJM LCA since it was only intended to mount a shock and not to support the weight of the truck. They would have worked the same way with stock LCA's. I only went with the DJM's to correct the lower ball joint angle - since I'm not running torsion bars the arms aren't actually doing anything else as far as dropping the truck down. We also gusseted the shock buckets to the frame since they weren't meant to take the weight of the truck. Again, my motor and transmission is MUCH heavier than yours so you would probably be fine - I've seen Duramax guys not gusset anything up either. And no, the torsion bar crossmember and it's mounts are all gone.