4l65 vs 4l80 why?

Curious to why I see some people wanting to upgrade to a 4l80 from the 65. Im new to these trucks and just bought one to play with. I have been racing and building C5's for years. I never had a problem with the 65 holding over 1000hp when built correctly. My last trans had over 250 9 sec passes in with no failures.

Cant wait to get this thing mod'd this spring.

Dale

they can hold some great power and I've seen a ton hold together around here supporting crazy power. but I have also seen a ton fail time and time again. one thing you have to keep in mind is these trucks weigh a lot compared to a C5 vette. its hard moving all that weigh. I'm not saying the 4l80 is the key to fixing transmission failure. Because 4l80e break also. it just seems it takes a lot to break them. I have went through 3 built 60s and I was fed up with them. So i figured what the heck lets try a 4l80. Im not really out anything by trying the 4l80. well 2 years later I'm still on that bone stock 4l80 with 120k miles on it when I put it in. its still going strong and hasn't skipped a beat. You can get 4l60s to work without a problem. Im glad guys are having luck with them. I just never have.

No one on this site has ever had a good experience with the 4L65e

Intresting. I wonder if it has something due to the rear shaft configuration compared to how the vettes use them. What seems to be the common failure with the 65 in trucks?

they can hold some great power and I've seen a ton hold together around here supporting crazy power. but I have also seen a ton fail time and time again. one thing you have to keep in mind is these trucks weigh a lot compared to a C5 vette. its hard moving all that weigh. I'm not saying the 4l80 is the key to fixing transmission failure. Because 4l80e break also. it just seems it takes a lot to break them. I have went through 3 built 60s and I was fed up with them. So i figured what the heck lets try a 4l80. Im not really out anything by trying the 4l80. well 2 years later I'm still on that bone stock 4l80 with 120k miles on it when I put it in. its still going strong and hasn't skipped a beat. You can get 4l60s to work without a problem. Im glad guys are having luck with them. I just never have.

Not to get off topic but is that hood on your truck the cervini? Love that hood.

And your right... I need to keep in mind the weight. We are talking a about 1000# difference Im sure.

Edited by HvyHitr (see edit history)

not true, im still running a 65 granted its an FLT level 6 but its holding up just fine. been through a cam, a procharger setup and now a 408. we'll see what happens when i throw a 200 shot at it but i think it will hold.

Thanks for all the replies guys. Thats what makes these sites great. Im a mod addict I just cant leave stuff alone lol. I like to spend the money one time and its info like this that makes it possible.

Not to get off topic but is that hood on your truck the cervini? Love that hood.

The hood is a Keystone Twin scoop for 03-05. its fiberglass. I no longer have this hood. I now have a Goodmarks steel cowl. I like them both. nothing was wrong with the Keystone I just wanted a different look after having it for awhile. A member on here now has it Millerss

The hood is a Keystone Twin scoop for 03-05. its fiberglass. I no longer have this hood. I now have a Goodmarks steel cowl. I like them both. nothing was wrong with the Keystone I just wanted a different look after having it for awhile. A member on here now has it Millerss

Awesome hood. I love the looks of it and the heads it turns. Thanks again Shawn :D

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Everyone is on the hype train about the 80. Are trucks with the stock 65 work fine when the truck is stock. Start adding power then your going to have a problem. But that will happen to any trans that's stock on any vehicle. If you get the right person and the right parts to build up the 65 then that trans will work fine under lots of power. Just my 2 cents.

I'm a fan of twin scoops, the cervinis looks aggressive, the scoops really pop out of the hood. I think we have about 2000lb on a c5 btw.

The keystone looks good too miller haha

Edited by canadianVRss (see edit history)

?????? where did you pull this out of? the second fastest truck on this website was a 65e. and many low 11 sec trucks are still 65e. ive had my built 65e for 3 years now and it runs like a charm and its taken some serious beatings. and im going to be putting it through my D1 setup this spring for some more beatings. i dont understand where and why people keep saying this

?????? where did you pull this out of? the second fastest truck on this website was a 65e. and many low 11 sec trucks are still 65e. ive had my built 65e for 3 years now and it runs like a charm and its taken some serious beatings. and im going to be putting it through my D1 setup this spring for some more beatings. i dont understand where and why people keep saying this

Agreed!

the fact is that more people break the 60 trans then not. if your under 500 hp keep the 60 ,if your over i say go 80. sure some 60's hold but i dont want to spend 2-3k + on building a 60 and still not have piece of mind when i mash the gas . there have been many guys on here that have broken multiple units b4 going 80e's and guess what you never here about them breaking the 80's.