cut and buff

alright so spring is around the corner and i was wanting to cut, buff, and polish the SS. the front bumper and hood need to be repainted because of rock chips, but after, the detail will begin. So the questions i have is what adams products will I need to use to achieve the best possible shine i can get from the existing paint as well as the process I should use with which products as well as after fresh paint the wet sand procedure and polish of this as well... iv always done the wash, claybar, wax regiment but want that show quality shine now. I know this will be sort of a write up by someone so I thank you ahead of time!

I would do the three step process! I would go on the Adams forms and search this question but the three step process and also the sealant and wax works the best for me. Also I buffed my buddies black ext f350 truck it was bad. I did this right before the winter and after he washes it it still look sweet. Spring time it will get done again.

Edited by NoMoreSS (see edit history)

Whatever parts of the truck that have been painted i wouldnt touch. The only thing you can do with those is wash and use a Full Carnauba wax for 3 months. Carnauba wax will allow the paint to breath as it off gases. If you use another type of wax, it will seal in those gases and then you can have paint blemishes.

Im not too familiar with Adams stuff. I use other products. But polishes all depend on how bad the clear is and what your trying to exactly get out. There are different grade of polishes to remove more extensive blemishes and then others to remove less.

You also need to use the right buffing pads to accomplish the shine and progress you want.

The polishes and compounds I use are Meguires. I use a clear coat safe light swirl and haze polish which removes hard water stains, fall out, light to medium scratches and other blemishes with no problem. Pads are all different colors depending on who makes them and there use. Mine for example, i would use a light cutting pad first, and if I dont get the results i want then i move up to the next pad up. Also using the right machine will help you not break your back and wont hurt the paint. I use a 7424 Porter cable polisher which will not burn the paint regardless of how long you sit in one spot or how much pressure you use.

Edited by Blown 346 (see edit history)

Are you planning on doing this my hand or a machine?

There will be a big difference depending on what kind of shape your paint is in. If it is in great shop you can just the the hand polishing then wax and you will be fine. IF there are lots of swirls then you are going to need a machine to get it looking perfect.

Hand Steps:

Wash

Clay

SHR- Swirl and Haze Remover

RP- Revive Polish

QS- Quick Sealant (Optional for better protection)

BG- Briliant Glaze (Optional for best shine)

Wax- Either Buttery Wax or Americana (American is the best)

Machine:

Wash

Clay

SSHR- Severe Swirl and Haze Remover (start with next step and go back to this one if the SHR is not enough)

SHR

FMP- Fine Machine Polish

MSS- Machine Super Sealant (optional for best protection), can use QS as well but does not last as long

BG (Optional for best shine)

Wax

Check out the adams forum and do some searches on there, and watch the videos on youtube. Thats how I learned all my skills.

i will be doing it by machine. I was going to purchase the exact porter cable you mentioned but am going to look into the flex as was mentioned. I am open to other products as well just mentioned adams as they were a sponsor. Glad i only have to buy a few products instead of a whole kit. Good to know about the paint needing to breathe.... It was one of those "stored way back in my mind" scendarios that needed bringing up. BTW my paint is in extremely good shape and a simple wax will net compliments and looks all day but there are a few spots that need slight attention to get perfect. Which cutting pads would i use for the process above with adams products?

i will be doing it by machine. I was going to purchase the exact porter cable you mentioned but am going to look into the flex as was mentioned. I am open to other products as well just mentioned adams as they were a sponsor. Glad i only have to buy a few products instead of a whole kit. Good to know about the paint needing to breathe.... It was one of those "stored way back in my mind" scendarios that needed bringing up. BTW my paint is in extremely good shape and a simple wax will net compliments and looks all day but there are a few spots that need slight attention to get perfect. Which cutting pads would i use for the process above with adams products?

Buy the flex kit. It comes with the colored pads that corespond with the bottles.

Green- sshr

orange- shr

white- fine machine polish

black- super sealant

Thats how they break down from most cutting to protection. I'm totally with diggerdan on this 1 and also you may want to check into the flex as well as the brilliant glaze you will fall in love with the truck again if you do all the steps then put the brilliant glaze on it. Really makes the paint pop