Any shotgunners out there? Want your input

MARTYW

I am entertaining the idea of buying a new 12 ga shotgun. Just wondered what any of you guys are shooting? I plan to use it for hunting and skeet. I have my eye on an 11-87 remington or a beretta a300 outlander in 12 gauge. The 11-87 I can get in super- mag and shoot 3 1/2" shells the beretta is chambered for up to 3". Still consider a pump, but think I want a semi-auto. I got a 12 gauge tactical 870 all tricked out for home defense. Anyway, tell me what you got, or you preferences and experiences are. Open to suggestions as well. Thanks.

Well I have 3 Shotguns that I Use competitively.I have Remington 11-87, Berreta 303 (Auto) , and a Beretta 686 (over/under). I use to shoot over 10,000 rounds a year when I was shooting all the time, but I have not been to a compitition in 5 years and have not pratised very often either.

I have had the remington 11-87 since I was 10 or 11 years old and it has been a great gun, the biggest downfall is that you have to clean 11-87's all the time, parts break every once in a while but they are inexpensive to fix, and any gun smith can work on them. They are fairly inexpensive and are also great for hunting.

The Beretta 303 is a much better gun. Its similar to the a300 the 303 is just older. It does not have to be clened as often as the 11-87 and does not break down as easily,but parts are expensive and not everyone can work on them.

That would be a hard decision to make, they both have good and bad qualities. If you are planning on using it more for hunting the 11-87 might be the best choice, but if you are planning on doing lots of skeet shooting I would go with the Beretta. Both will work for both jobs

i say get a 870 super express you can do everything you need with it, it hold 3 1/2 inch shells and you can shoot till your arm falls off then switch arms and keep shooting. MY 2 CENTS, Best 12g on the market for reliability

Well I have 3 Shotguns that I Use competitively.I have Remington 11-87, Berreta 303 (Auto) , and a Beretta 686 (over/under). I use to shoot over 10,000 rounds a year when I was shooting all the time, but I have not been to a compitition in 5 years and have not pratised very often either.

I have had the remington 11-87 since I was 10 or 11 years old and it has been a great gun, the biggest downfall is that you have to clean 11-87's all the time, parts break every once in a while but they are inexpensive to fix, and any gun smith can work on them. They are fairly inexpensive and are also great for hunting.

The Beretta 303 is a much better gun. Its similar to the a300 the 303 is just older. It does not have to be clened as often as the 11-87 and does not break down as easily,but parts are expensive and not everyone can work on them.

That would be a hard decision to make, they both have good and bad qualities. If you are planning on using it more for hunting the 11-87 might be the best choice, but if you are planning on doing lots of skeet shooting I would go with the Beretta. Both will work for both jobs

With whom or where did you shoot? My father still shoots competitively in the PVA circut and has been a Ranked #1 in the nation 2 times in the past 3 years?

With whom or where did you shoot? My father still shoots competitively in the PVA circut and has been a Ranked #1 in the nation 2 times in the past 3 years?

I also have the mossberg 500. It's what I use for deer hog and turkey all around good gun. But I'm with Dan go 1187 for hunting and the beretta for skeet. The 87 is the newer 1100 and it to me was a great shotgun. My buddy has a short barrel 870 and it is a badass he shot turkey at 53yards no prob. It's 3 1/2. So it's gonna be a tuff one Gl that's my 2 pennies..

Edited by JC03SS (see edit history)

i say get a 870 super express you can do everything you need with it, it hold 3 1/2 inch shells and you can shoot till your arm falls off then switch arms and keep shooting. MY 2 CENTS, Best 12g on the market for reliability

The 870 express is a great gun, I also have one its a 20-guage I started shooting with when I was 9. The biggest issue is that he said he would like to other types of shooting with it, and it is very difficult with a pump

Well I have been shooting since I was 9 (19 years ago). There is a local range owned by my Dads boss (one of the best shooters in Oregon) here in my Home town that I use to shoot at all the time. I was mentored by one of the greatest Skeet shooters of all time. Of course that does not mean I was very good lol.

I have shot Skeet, Trap, and Sporting Clays competitively, at shoots all over Oregon, California, Nevada, and Washington. It has been al least 7 years since I have shot in a competition and its been almost 2 years since I have shot any clay target, but I hope to try to get back into it.

I'm a fan of the 870's, most reliable shotgun IMHO

for deer i have an 870 magnum with a rifled slug barrel+scope

for everything else i have a full camo 870 magnum special purpose - great for birds, skeet, and crashing through the woods without banging a scope.

both shoot 2-3/4 or 3", if you need 3-1/2 go super mag!

Edited by tayldss (see edit history)

Out of those two I'd go with the 1187.If you are hunting water fowl, a semi- auto is the way to go.

The 3 1/2" loads are perfect for passing goose shots.This year I primarily used my Remington Versa Max. I also have a Beretta Xtrema 2 with kickoff for waterfowl.I have a Saiga 12, and Mossberg maverick pistol grip pump for home defense.

I have been through quite a few 12ga and the one I will take with me without hesitation to anything ( clays, deer, waterfowl, defense) is my Remington 1100. I can honestly say that after thousands of rounds through it I have only had 1 mis-fire and 4 jams. The only problem I ever had with it was my forend cracked. I bought it from my best friends dad when I was 16 after my Mossberg 500 kept pissing me off and not ejecting. I know the 11-87 is the ugraded 1100 and I have been through a few of them to but my 1100 is perfect for me. I have never had the need to shoot a 3.5" shell and ruin my week with a sore shoulder.

I also had a few Benelli models that were my next favorite, but for the price I decided a few new barrels for the 1100 would be better so I sold most of the shot guns.

BTW if you use rem-oil or a petrolium based lube on your guns, I would look into the dry lubes.

870 is an amazing gun. Extremely reliable. I usually take some geese with it every year. It does very well even with late seasoned, thick feathered honkers. If you've ever hunted geese, you know they're one tough bird, especially late seaon in cold climates.

Thanks guys. If I go with a pump, I'm sure I'll go with an 870. I'm still thinking I want a semiautomatic this time. I'm considering an 1100 or 11-87. The other I am interested in is the Beretta A300 Outlander. I'm going to check out one of those this weekend. I am hearing good things about it and its in my price range since I plan to buy new. If I find a decent price on a used benelli or browning gold, I would consider one of them.

I have 2 big A$$ Dobermans and a crazy wife! Those are my weapons of choice! Haha and when they see me they say hello to my 11-87 Remington express.

BEWARE BEWARE OF WHAT WE CARE

CARE FOR WHAT YOU DO

OR MUMBO-JUMBO IS GOING TO HOO-DOO YOU

MUMBO-JUMBO IS GOING TO HOO-DOO YOU

BOOMLAY BOOMLAY BOOMLAY

BOOM!!!!!!!

Thanks guys. If I go with a pump, I'm sure I'll go with an 870. I'm still thinking I want a semiautomatic this time. I'm considering an 1100 or 11-87. The other I am interested in is the Beretta A300 Outlander. I'm going to check out one of those this weekend. I am hearing good things about it and its in my price range since I plan to buy new. If I find a decent price on a used benelli or browning gold, I would consider one of them.

I think you need to look at exactly how much you want spend and how much you are planning on using it, and for what purpose. Having owned an 870, 11-87, and multiple Berettas I can tell you that they all serve very different purposes.

Remington 870- This is a great gun and very reliable. Not many things that can go wrong with a pump and they shoot forever. If you are just planning on Bird hunting with it, then its a great gun and you can get one for inexpensive. But if you are planning on doing any sport shooting with it (Skeet, Sporting Clays, etc...) then you should go for an Auto.

$300-500

Remington 11-87- This will be a great all around gun for both hunting and sport shooting. They do have some issues, they should be cleaned after every 100 rounds, Trust Me. They have many little working parts that like to break but its inexpensive to fix.

$500-700

Beretta A300 Outlander- I have not had any experience with this exact model, but I have a Beretta 303 wich is also an auto, but it is designed for sproting vs. the A300 wich is mainly designed for hunting, of course it can also be used for sport shooting as well. From my experience Berettas are much more reliable than Remingtons, but are more expensive to fix. If you are planning on shooting quite a bit, then I would suggest the Beretta.

$650-900

Another thing you need to consider is how the gun fits you and how it feels. This is something that people dont usually think of. You need to at least mount the gun and swing it from side to side to test how it feels. And if you have the ability too, you need to take them out and shoot and pattern them to see how exactly the gun fits you. Basically you need to find a big piece of paper, Make a mark on it, and shoot at the mark from about 20 yards and that will give you and idea of where the gun is shooting. If the shot pattern is right in the middle then the gun fits you, if it is high that means the stock is too low, and if the pattern is low the stock to too high.

If you have any other questions let me know. I have not done a ton of bird hunting in my life, but I have been sport shooting for almost 20 years, and I know quite a bit about shotguns.