Rear brakes wearing out before fronts.

SSenvy

I did some searching on google, and im getting some people saying that this is normal for silverados where the back brakes are toast, but the fronts are fine. This is the case with mine. My front pads have plenty of life left, but backs are shot. Sad part is, the backs only got about 20k on them ( fronts too ). I always thought the front did like 70% of our braking power.

My question is, is there something wrong with my brakes, or is this normal? At the rate im at now, my fronts will last 2 to 1 on back brakes.

Rear brakes will most always last longer than the fronts The fronts do the majority of the braking and are the first to start working. You normally will replace the fronts almost twice before you touch the rears with normal driving.

I had to replace my rears first and Im still on the original fronts.

Edited by Blown 346 (see edit history)

Totally normal for GMT-800 trucks with 4 wheel disc brakes. My 2003 Tahoe had 105,000 on the original front pads and rotors before needing replacement, and was on it's 3rd set of rear pads and second set of rear rotors by that time....

Edited by Fireman31 (see edit history)

its all about friction surface. fronts have way more meat. my truck has had one set of rear pads, still oem at 117k on front. I do believe the rears apply first on these trucks as well. it is not a problem, it is a design characteristic. it is a completely different style front to rear. rear is hat/drum style rotor.

its all about friction surface. fronts have way more meat. my truck has had one set of rear pads, still oem at 117k on front. I do believe the rears apply first on these trucks as well. it is not a problem, it is a design characteristic. it is a completely different style front to rear. rear is hat/drum style rotor.

This, braking performance would be horrible if the front and rear axles had the same frictions and set up. Nature of the beast.