turbo or supercharger

gbart

depends on what your goal is. for the most part, you will get more peak power out of a turbo in result getting you better 1/4 mile times. but for daily driving, stoplight to stoplight kind of stuff, i think a twin screw supercharger is the way to go---full boost at low rpms. (whipple, kenne bell) i have come across a lot of negative posts about customer service with kenne bell but i just purchased a kit from them and i have nothing but good things to say about them and their product.

:thumbs:

edit: oh yea, for the sts turob to be able to run 9psi, it was going to cost 5400. i got the KB kit along with 7,8,9,10 psi pullies for a lot less than that, yes, i did get a really good deal though.

im lookin to get prob a turbo or s/c sometime in the near future wondering which one you guys think is best bang for the buck not for sure on this never been around them too much if you could let me know your opinions id appreciate it

Thanks gbart

Nitrous is the BIGGEST bang for the Buck

Other than that use the search feature and you'll find plenty of reading :thumbs:

edit: oh yea, for the sts turob to be able to run 9psi, it was going to cost 5400. i got the KB kit along with 7,8,9,10 psi pullies for a lot less than that, yes, i did get a really good deal though.

Um, no. I run 10psi all day long with the base kit + the GT67 and 44# injectors. My same set up would cost :

$3550 for the kit

$400-500 for the GT67 upgrade (I forgot the exact retail figure)

$150 for the dual stage boost controller

$400 for injectors.

Total: $4600 worst case. Oh, and add in your tune of choice.

but for daily driving, stoplight to stoplight kind of stuff, i think a twin screw supercharger is the way to go---full boost at low rpms. (whipple, kenne bell)

Daily driving I get full boost at 3k rpm.

Nitrous is the BIGGEST bang for the Buck

Agreed.

• 2 weeks later...
that is good for turbo.  mine is full at 2k.

Now lets all whip out dyno sheets to compare, or our penile members and measure up to end this debate. LMAO

Most twinscrews I have seen usually lack on top end power which is why more race cars use centrifugals or roots style. Great for daily street driving, just not my choice for racing. :)

that is good for turbo.  mine is full at 2k.

Now lets all whip out dyno sheets to compare, or our penile members and measure up to end this debate. LMAO

Most twinscrews I have seen usually lack on top end power which is why more race cars use centrifugals or roots style. Great for daily street driving, just not my choice for racing. :)

:crackup: totally agree. that is why i went with the twinscrew and not a centrifugal--i have a street truck not a race truck.

If you end up getting a s/c, the only way to go is intercooled. That really only leaves the Radix. Don't listen to the rhetoric that Whipple or KB is putting out about how they don't need it, it's BS. If either were already intercooled, then I'd say go with one of them. Both companies tailor more to the Ford guys and can care less about what you as a GM owner need for best power. A KB or whipple may be able to keep up with a Radix at equal boost levels in winter temperatures, but once the summer heat rolls around, it'll leave them in the dust. Radix will give you better year-round performance.

My STS cost me $4200. That was with a GT-70 upgrade ($800 option), boost controller and blow off valve. I did have to get bigger injectors and I needed the ability to tune, or buy a tune. Most wouldn't need as large a turbo as I purchased.

A turbo will give you the ability to up boost levels beyond what any supercharger can do in the future with fairly minimal cost. You max out on a supercharger in boost very quick.

Really can't say which is better, but one does give you more options if you plan to move further with your truck/motor in the future. Most people aren't happy with the amount of boost they start out with.

Most wouldn't need as large a turbo as I purchased.

A turbo will give you the ability to up boost levels beyond what any supercharger can do in the future with fairly minimal cost.  You max out on a supercharger in boost very quick.

Really can't say which is better, but one does give you more options if you plan to move further with your truck/motor in the future.  Most people aren't happy with the amount of boost they start out with.

any supercharger or turbo can max out a stock motor. im not sure how much "further" you were talking about but even if we were talking about 15 psi, it is just a matter of a smaller pulley for me and those are only 70 bucks.

Archived