Fender Roller vs Grinder for Additional Clearance

chrishoekusmc

I'm thinking about lowering my truck another inch. Still undecided but I'm thinking if I do decide to do it I would like to have a little extra clearance between the tire and the wheel well lip on the rear. I know I could either rent a fender roller or I can just grind it down then prime the freshly cut edge and spray my undercoating to make it match the rest of my wheel well. Just wondering if anyone has done either of these methods (fender roller vs grinder) and what your recommendations are? Thanks in advance guys.

Chris

Edited by BayouSS (see edit history)

Well how low are you? What size tires are you running? What are you thinking you would need to cut? You can only roll the rear of the truck. The front fenders have a large lip on them that you would not be able to roll. Not only will the front rub against the top of the fender but it will rub the fire wall if you go to low or to big of a tire.

Edited by shawnss (see edit history)

If you decide to go the cut method route, would atleast use some rust inhibitor. I have seen moisture get in places and cause rust. By the time you notice it your screwed. The fender roller does a nice job.

If you decide to go the cut method route, would atleast use some rust inhibitor. I have seen moisture get in places and cause rust. By the time you notice it your screwed. The fender roller does a nice job.

Well how low are you? What size tires are you running? What are you thinking you would need to cut? You can only roll the rear of the truck. The front fenders have a large lip on them that you would not be able to roll. Not only will the front rub against the top of the fender but it will rub the fire wall if you go to low or to big of a tire.

I'm currently sitting on a 3/4 drop, looking to bring it down 1 more front and rear. I'm running 295s and have maybe about 1/8" of clearance now if that. It is hard to tell, but I know I don't rub. Just thinking I would like at least 1/4" of clearance for my own comfort. And yes, I'm only talking about the rear.

I plan on using rustoleum if I go this route, then put my undercoat over that. Just never had to use the fender roller so slightly worried about it messing up my fender. Are they idiot proof?

Roll it, I rolled my rears. You can "roll" the front by mini-tubbing it, since it's a dual layer fender u can cut away the inner layer for extra room. There was a writeup on GMFS i think. You don't really ahve to do anything to your fronts yet at a 4/6. I'm running 4/6 stock fenders up front. But I've downsized tires to 275/40/20 on stock wheels. Which is what you're gonna have to do if you lower your truck more, on stock size tires I rubbed everywhere like crazy, now that im on the 40 series, hardly ever rub

Edited by ThatTallCanadian (see edit history)

one more inch in rear you will need to notch it.

I'm glad you chimed in Norcal, I was thinking about pming you. I thought the limit was 5" before you had to c-notch. Is it 4"? Also, how do you personally feel about removing the helper leaf?

I know my other option is to do a flip kit. Right now I have the 4" hanger/shackle kit on the rear. If I'm trying to get 5" though do I need to do the flip kit and return to factory shackles? Thanks.

I'm on a 5/7 drop with 275/35/20 up front and 285/35/22 in rear I had to cut out the fender in the front and I still rub every once in a while when I hit a nice size dip and the rear tire was rubbing so bad on the inside fender it made a slash on the side of my tire so I used a mini bat and a rubber mallet to roll the fender kind of ghetto but I had no choice at the time if I wanted to drive my truck I did get lucky and not ruin paint or disfigure the rear fender

I'm on a 5/7 drop with 275/35/20 up front and 285/35/22 in rear I had to cut out the fender in the front and I still rub every once in a while when I hit a nice size dip and the rear tire was rubbing so bad on the inside fender it made a slash on the side of my tire so I used a mini bat and a rubber mallet to roll the fender kind of ghetto but I had no choice at the time if I wanted to drive my truck I did get lucky and not ruin paint or disfigure the rear fender

Can you post pics of your front fender for me? I'm planning on going 5/7 this summer