A few Site Suggestions, Maybe they will help

diggerdan11

Question

I have noticed that this site seems to be dead recently, and it seem like there are less and less “old” members every day. I think a lot of people have become frustrated with this site recently. I have a few suggestions that might help pick this site up and maybe make people happy. Some of these have already been suggested but I figured I would add them in as well:

Maybe we can add a “hobby” Section or multiple sections, where we can discuss Sports, Guns, Fishing, Other Vehicles Etc…. Not everyone joins this site just to learn about their trucks, we also are on here to make friendships and BS with each other just like car guys do.

What about a spotted section. People post on here all the time saying “hey I saw an SS, anyone on here? Or they post up SS’s on eBay or Craigslist (good or bad), but these post are sometimes in the off topic, or photo, or other random sections, I think it would be nice to have on place for them all.

I think the How to section needs lots of work. It is full of great information, but half the pictures and links no longer work. Of course this is one of the issues with using sites like photobucket, when you move the pictures or delete them from your account, you also lose them on any post you put them in. There are also lots of people asking questions in the How to Section. I would love to see some new how to topics in this section, but that will require members on this site to create ones.

We can also create a new Popular How to thread, the one in there was last updated in 09 and half the links no longer have the pictures you need to perform the how to. This “popular mod” thread can also have links to other sites that have really go how-2s. Hopefully this might help keep people from asking the same questions over and over again. Maybe we can change the name form how 2 to Walkthrough or something like that. This might help differentiate between the place where you go to ask questions and the place where you can find answers.

I would really like to see more topics pinned. Maybe we can have a frequently asked question post in the technical forums that has links to answers to frequently asked questions, so hopefully we don’t have the same questions asked over and over again.

How about some photo contests. We have truck of the month (every 2 months), but how about a contest let say where everyone post up a picture of your SS next to a Prius, then everyone post up pictures, we vote on the best and the winner gets to pick the topic of the next months contest. I have seen this on other sites and it has been lots of fun.

Maybe we can have cleaning and detailing section where we can discuss different cleaning and detailing supplies, we are all obsessed with keeping your trucks nice and shiny, and this is where we can talk about products and techniques. The Appearance section kind of fits this, but I still think we can have a separate one.

I think it would also be fun to have a member finder, so we can see where other members are located. I know there are people from Oregon on here other than me, there has to be, but IDK who they are.

These are just a few ideas that I have, please feel free to add some more. I love this site and have been a member for over 6 years, but day buy day I have become a little more frustrated with this site, and Im on here less and less, and I know Im not the only one who feels the same way. I would love to see this site return to its former glory.

Edited by diggerdan11 (see edit history)

• Answers 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I'll get back on my soap box about getting the Garage working again. Not a new feature, but it contained a lot of valuable information. I'm sure newer members would like to add information, as well as reference some of the information that was already there.

I'll get back on my soap box about getting the Garage working again. Not a new feature, but it contained a lot of valuable information. I'm sure newer members would like to add information, as well as reference some of the information that was already there.

Yeah we all want it back bad!

I am new to the site. I am a new ss silverado owner. It's a 2004 with 220000 miles, I got it at a good deal I think. I have always dreamed of owning one and actually was kind of forced into the choice after injuring my knee and having to give up my corvette. I joined this forum because I am looking for insight on maintenance. It runs great, it just has a slight clicking from the steering shaft area, and an oil leak I think is coming from the rear main seal. I am in Hampton,Ga an looking for some insight.

I am new to the site. I am a new ss silverado owner. It's a 2004 with 220000 miles, I got it at a good deal I think. I have always dreamed of owning one and actually was kind of forced into the choice after injuring my knee and having to give up my corvette. I joined this forum because I am looking for insight on maintenance. It runs great, it just has a slight clicking from the steering shaft area, and an oil leak I think is coming from the rear main seal. I am in Hampton,Ga an looking for some insight.

You should starts a new thread in the members introductions and post some pics. Might be some other members in your area that can give you a hand. Probably the pitman arm making the noise.

• Admin

Lots of great suggestions and I will do my best to implement some of them in the following week or two.

I think it would also be fun to have a member finder, so we can see where other members are located. I know there are people from Oregon on here other than me, there has to be, but IDK who they are.

I just added a membermap. Go check it out and pin your location!

Well I do have some ideas for the forum to improve on. I think a section off to the side (like the new topic section) of recent topics that have been replied to would really bring more traffic to the site and posts that have been forgotten about or over looked. It would unltimately have one member leave a recent reply on that topic and and would be put in this section for everyone to see. Because if a member isnt subscribed to this thread or never seen it but it is not new, it will be shown cause it has recently been replied to. I hope this makes sense, not sure if my explanation is well enough. Im a member on stevesnovasite.com and they have it set up like that also if you wanted to see an example.

Well I do have some ideas for the forum to improve on. I think a section off to the side (like the new topic section) of recent topics that have been replied to would really bring more traffic to the site and posts that have been forgotten about or over looked. It would unltimately have one member leave a recent reply on that topic and and would be put in this section for everyone to see. Because if a member isnt subscribed to this thread or never seen it but it is not new, it will be shown cause it has recently been replied to. I hope this makes sense, not sure if my explanation is well enough. Im a member on stevesnovasite.com and they have it set up like that also if you wanted to see an example.

Good idea Cruz.

I wind up responding to some threads, even though I may not have much to offer to the thread, just so that I can keep track of it.

• Admin

We'll be on the look-out for a IPB Forum Hook that has the functionality. We're not programmers, so we can only use what we find (and is well designed / maintained code).

Have you tried the View New Content Button near the right top of the page?

• Admin

Working on things this morning:

1- Appearance forum focus has shifted slightly: It's now: Appearance, Cleaning, & Detailing

2- Added a new forum: MiSSed Connections & SSpotted

3- The Waiting Room has been renamed to: My New Truck

4- Added a new forum: Firearms & Hunting

5- Added a new forum: Sports & The Outdoors

6 - SS Truck News has been refocused to cover all automotive industry topics as : The Automotive Industry

We're working on more photo contests. Garage is back, along with truck of the month. A 48-state flag rally will start soon, too!

Supporting Membership will re-open in the next few weeks. We're installing and testing the new software to allow us to process subscriptions next week.

I think this addresses quite a few of the open concerns. Are we doing a better job?