408?

If I swap out my crank and make it a 408 what kind of hp would it make? With stock heads and stuff. Like to get around 400 to 450 to the rear. Or what would be the cheapest easiest way to make that kind of hp?

Edited by coal miner (see edit history)

Its not just as simple as throwing in a crank to make it a 408 and its not cheap. I have been trying to set a price on where to stop with my build. I will tell you Im looking at close to 6500.00 for a 408 and its not even all the best parts money can buy. to make easy quick power you can just slap a blower on there and have it tuned and have fun. but with just a blower for an upgrade your stock transmission won't like it much. you need to find out a budget and a goal and work form there. if money is endless and not an issue you can get that type of power easy. but it seems after you reach and power goal your never happy. I started with just wanting to runs 13s got there in wanted 12s. ran a 12.5 and now want more. so if i could have done it all over i would have just build a motor to grow with and work on adding more power as I went. build a nice stout long or short block and add power adders later if funds don't allow you to right away.

Edited by shawnss (see edit history)

Like said, its not as simple as just getting the work done and having the best of of every world. There is alot more of a science to building a motor that will fit within what your looking for. heads and cam all depend on driveability and how much of a gas hog you dont want it to be, and then theres the money. Heads arent cheap nor is the other parts that have to go along with it. You have other variables like a fuel system to build around the motor. Keeping the stock convertor is going to hurt performance and the capabilities of the motor itself.

That all depends on what type of convertor you choose. Stall speed of the converter, size, and then if its a loose or tight converter. You have to decide what the truck will be mainly used for, and the performance level you want. You cant have both, basically one up side will lead to a downside.

A converter works to increase take off and get the power to the wheels at certain RPMs. Say you had a 3200 in the truck, when you hit the gas it will first feel like the trans is slipping as the RPM will go up and the truck wont move forward like it did stock. Once you whap the throttle, the RPMs will shoot up to around the 3200RPM range and the convertor will lock( this is where most powerbands start) and the truck will act like it just got a bog burst of power. This is due to what ever power the engine made at 3200 RPM will instantly be at the tires.

For everyday driving and a few spirited runs here and there, I myself would go with a 3200 loose converter for the street. A lock up converter will be more harsh.

There is a ton of info on the net on how a Torque converter works and how to help choose the right one for you.

You first have to answer the questions in my first sentence for use to better help you choose what will fit your not only your budget but performance and drive ability.

Edited by Blown 346 (see edit history)