getting good at pulling out these LS engines from trucks and SUV

shawnss

Im sure some of you remember I recently bought 01 GMC yukon the had 323k miles on the factory 5.3 vortec. according to the owner it ran great but the tranny was slipping. well this past saturday I installed a good 4l60e and took her for a drive. I took it for about a 20 mile drive. the transmission worked great and the truck had plenty of power. but after getting off the highway and coming to a idle you could here a slight tapping/ticking noise. So I took it home and tried finding where the source or the noise was coming from. I ruled out the new transmission. it sounding like it was coming from the top end of the motor. beings it has 323K mile of the factory motor it didn't surprise me that it was making a bit of top-end noise. So i started revving it up to see if it would go away and to my surprise the tapping went away. but later in the day it came back. So i figured for the piece of mind I decided I'm just going to replace this old wore out motor. So I called my local salvage yard. they have quite a few of these 5.3 in stock so I'm picking one up for $400.00 that is complete from top to bottom that has only 92k on it. So today at about 8am I started pulling the engine out. It was just me by myself and from start to finish it only took 3.5 hours and the motor was out and all tools were cleaned up. In that time I even took a breakfast break. Im starting to get good at pulling these engines out and it is getting really easy. not even a challenge anymore. so after purchasing the yukon and doing a transmission swap and a low milage 5.3 I will only have $2600.00 into it. not to shabby because NADA with 323k it still books for $6800.00 Im planning on using it as a DD for a few years and then send it down the road.

Heres a video of the noise.

http://s420.photobucket.com/albums/pp285/shawnss_photo/TFT%20rides/?action=view&current=GOPR8201_zpsc2b9a335.mp4

http://s420.photobucket.com/albums/pp285/shawnss_photo/TFT%20rides/?action=view&current=GOPR8201_zpsc2b9a335.mp4

heres some picture of the old motor. its a dirty beast but it does have 323k on it pretty good i say. it was still running and I could have fixed the top-end noise but I just didn't want something else to happen after I got this problem fixed.

IMG_8203_zps80877bf1.jpg

IMG_8207_zps184c2895.jpgIMG_8208_zpsccdd9d07.jpgIMG_8206_zpsb8e11224.jpg

Also I have been doing a few things to clean it up. the interior was freaking nasty. I have sense cleaned it up and put some new used carpet in it. bought that from the local salvage yard also. heres some before and after. the guy who owned it and even cleaned it. the carpets where stained bad.

before.

IMG_7931.jpg

IMG_7936.jpg

IMG_8129_zps01c611f3.jpgIMG_8130_zps2fbc9c02.jpgIMG_8132_zpsb60b7946.jpgIMG_8133_zpsdb971d6d.jpg

heres after. new used carpet.

IMG_8134_zps9e4a3949.jpgIMG_8136_zps3d51221c.jpgIMG_8137_zps3135670c.jpgIMG_8139_zps68d175c7.jpgIMG_8138_zps78ef75aa.jpg

IMG_7927.jpg

Edited by shawnss (see edit history)

there are always french fries under the seats lol

yeah most of that was the crumbs from KFC chicken. he was a manager of many different KFC stores so I'm sure he pretty much ate it all the time. thats why the carpets where so bad. from all the grease off the floors at all the restaurants.

Looks good. If you get to much better at this guys will be driving to billings and dropping off there trucks lol. Be funny if you came out and had 10 SS 's sitting out front.

yeah it would be funny. I really dont mind working on GM vehicles. but I have way to much on my plate with my own projects. with projects like this less time gets spent on the SS. it seems at this rate it could be years before I get the SS back together. the more and more I look at it theres mre I want to change. :banghead: