growling front end

I've had the "growl" since about 700 miles (now 6200 on it), and it seems to be getting louder. I had to take her in for the tailgate cable recall, and to tighten up the one of the rear doors, so I took the service writer to do a few curly-ques in the parking lot.

Don't know if this means anything to anyone, except that perhaps I'm losing my mind, but my growl seems to only happen when I'm off the throttle (coasting), and turning, at least I can't hear it, even under light throttle. :dunno:

The writer said he didn't think it was "normal", but we'll see when the techs and higher-ups listen to it. Any techs in the know out there who want to comment? Make any sense? Gear lash issues?

Otherwise, everything is fine w/ the diff, x-fer case, etc. I love this truck! :thumbs:

I'll post when I get the "official" analysis and results.

I've had the "growl" since about 700 miles (now 6200 on it), and it seems to be getting louder.  I had to take her in for the tailgate cable recall, and to tighten up the one of the rear doors, so I took the service writer to do a few curly-ques in the parking lot.

Don't know if this means anything to anyone, except that perhaps I'm losing my mind, but my growl seems to only happen when I'm off the throttle (coasting), and turning, at least I can't hear it, even under light throttle.  :dunno:

The writer said he didn't think it was "normal", but we'll see when the techs and higher-ups listen to it.  Any techs in the know out there who want to comment?  Make any sense?  Gear lash issues?

Otherwise, everything is fine w/ the diff, x-fer case, etc.  I love this truck!  :thumbs:

I'll post when I get the "official" analysis and results.

Ok, just talked to the service advisor, re: the "growl". They also drove this AM and said that they have no experience with this noise, no other SS (of course) for comparison, and no official word from Chevrolet about it.

They did drain the front pumpkin, thought the fluid was pretty "brown", and refilled w/ new, then re-drove - noise still there, but said sometimes these things take a while. They didn't find any metal or other particulates in the drained fluid, so said to monitor, and if it gets worse, bring it back in.

I guess I'm OK w/ this now as the noise isn't that noticeable anyway, and I've only got 6K miles on it, so plenty of time to get really loud or break if it's gonna. At least they didn't give me the "it's normal" routine. :dunno:

I will continue to monitor and post anything that changes.

I think the common growl, and the noise the others are talking about are different.

My old 4.10'd Avalanche use to make a whirring noise between 40 and 60mph. It was a problem with the 4.10 rear differential and some machining done when they were made.

I 'think' the noise-at-speed people are hearing here is similar to that noise.

• 2 weeks later...
I've been noticing on full cranked turns backing up that I get a growl out of the front end, the dealer tells me this is typical of awd. What do you guys think?

They told me the same thing about the feedback from the road through the steering colum. I've only had it for a couple of months so I'm kinda new to this system. :eek:

Update, just got a call from service dept and they are ordering

a new differential for my truck should be in next week.

I'll post the results. Thanks to everyone for your advice

and experiances. :sick:

I've been noticing on full cranked turns backing up that I get a growl out of the front end, the dealer tells me this is typical of awd. What do you guys think?

They told me the same thing about the feedback from the road through the steering colum. I've only had it for a couple of months so I'm kinda new to this system. :eek:

Update, just got a call from service dept and they are ordering

a new differential for my truck should be in next week.

I'll post the results. Thanks to everyone for your advice

and experiances. :sick:

Thanks shootingshark for the info as well - I look forward to hearing how it is w/ the new pig. I wonder if you can find out whether it's a different design, or just a new unit of the same type in all the SSS? :chevy:

Archived