StabiliTrak

I was back home in New England a few weeks ago during the snow storm. I drove my buddy's brand new 2013 Sierra Denali AWD w/ StabiliTrak in over a foot of snow... truck was amazing. With StabiliTrak the truck just drove straight whatever way I turned the steering-wheel. The heated steering-wheel was a nice touch also.

This past weekend I was helping a friend with his 03' AWD Escalade w/ StabiliTrak. The Escalade was having an issue with acceleration from a stop where the StabiliTrak system would engage making the truck almost stop dead in its path. It turned out to be a dirty wheel speed sensor that was sending an incorrect wheel speed back to the computer which made the computer think the wheels were spinning at different speeds and the truck was slipping, thus activating the StabiliTrak system. We pulled the wheel speed sensors, cleaned them all up and so far so good.

Working on his Escalade and looking at the front suspension, I couldn't help but notice how it was the same as my SSS. I believe my SSS uses the same hubs w/ the same wheel speed sensors. Furthermore, from what I have found on the internet, the StabiliTrak system was only available on SUV's with the AWD system (Escalade, Denali, ect). Since my SSS has the same drivetrain as the Escalade and uses the same wheel speed sensors, why couldn't my SSS be equipped with StabiliTrak? I read that the system uses sensors to monitor the yaw rate and activate StabiliTrak accordingly. I'm guessing my truck doesn't have these sensors or computer(s) installed. The only other differences I could think of between the Escalade and SSS is the Escalade has Hydroboost (SSS has vacuum) and the Escalade has Autoride where the SSS just has regular shocks.

I'm not saying I want to add StabiliTrak to my truck or would even want to but this just got me thinking... why wouldn't or couldn't it work or be added to a SSS or any other GM truck/SUV? Our trucks didn't come with TPMS but that can be and has been added just by adding the correct module and sensors to the truck.

I'm sure there are many reasons why this can't or shouldn't be done... so let's hear em'. I'm curious.

I don't really like it I got it in my Cadillac. Say I'm pulling out of my driveway by the way is on a corner and last second i see a car and step on it then the tires slip and kills power to the engine and bam you just got hit that's why I shut it off in snow and rain so I can get out of my own way it's got it's perks but me i just don't like it