Purchasing hpt suite

2003_SuperSport

My birthday is next week so I am deciding to treat myself to some tuning software lol :happy: I have grew up around cars and motorsports all my life and have always been interested in performance tuning. I know enough to get me in trouble right now but am a fast learner and am looking forward to learning more about it. I want it mainly so I can have my tuner email me tunes I would like to do it as a hobby and tune friends and familys cars and trucks... Super excited :dbanana: I bought this book to read and hope to be doing alot of research and annoying all of you here about it by not using the search button LOL :crackup: . http://www.amazon.com/Engine-Management-Advanced-Greg-Banish/dp/1932494421

I just bought the same book and Dan Maslic's book.

Great reading.

http://www.SilveradoSS.com/forums/topic/80018-learning-how-to-use-my-efilive-tuner/

Sweet dude. We should keep in touch and learn from each other. I live in Minnesota so maybe we can meet this summer like in brainerd international speedway for Wednesday night open track night. Duluth has a fun two day event where they drag on the street

I loved that book, I still read through it to really get it to sink in. looks like lots of guys are getting into tuning on here. Feel free to pm me if anyone has any basic questions, i'm not a pro by any means but I know I would've liked to have someone I could ask when I first started learning lol

I loved that book, I still read through it to really get it to sink in. looks like lots of guys are getting into tuning on here. Feel free to pm me if anyone has any basic questions, i'm not a pro by any means but I know I would've liked to have someone I could ask when I first started learning lol

For sure bro. I'm super pumped but scared cause of all the parameters and could be one mistake from a bad day.

Minnesota is a long way away. Still have to fix the truck this spring.

From Illinois naaaa. I drove from northern MN to Jacksonville, NC in 24hrs and 33mins. So 8-10hrs from you. We both could find a place in the middle like a Wisconsin drag strip. I don't like driving my baby that far but I haven't met another SSS in many years

• 2 weeks later...

I got my HP tuners suite Pro and been reading gregs book and am about half way done. Lots of information to retain I will probably be reading it more than once LOL. I think the only thing I feel comfortable to mess with is the trans LOL. I understand most of the principles on how an engine works and functions I just need to know how to read the info on the tables converted to numbers and decimals lol. I am super pumped and will be doing some scans of my vehicles to look over.

BTW. does anyone have a stock 2003 SSS pcm scan or calibration files I can look at through hptuners. I have had mine tuned by wheatley and never seen what my factory calibration and ve tables looked like. I know there are some samples of other cars on hptuners website but I want to see a stock file with no modifications.

I also purchased a NGK AFX wideband kit to help with my tunes. Its my understanding that I can pull a existing NBO2 sensor and put the wideband in its location and scan with that as long as the pcm stays in open loop. Now my question is should I just do a idle scan or do you think I could drive it in open loop recording my driving conditions when closed loop usually is performed but the main reason for driving it is for WOT operation and tuning is when a PCM enters open loop again on its own. In short I want to acurately tune for open loop idle and WOT with a temporarly fixed wideband.

I want to use the NGK as a portable wideband tool and don't want to weld a bung in every vehicle I tune. For my SSS I will have a fixed WBO2 welded right behind the exsisting NB02 but thats my personal baby.

Edited by 2003_SuperSport (see edit history)

Hptuners repository has lots of stock files, when I was tuning my truck I left the front o2's in so it can run closed loop then just pull the back drivers side o2, they were deleted anyways. But yea you can tune it in open loop and then close it back up after you're done. Hell my truck is running OLSD full time. No problems here.

Hptuners repository has lots of stock files, when I was tuning my truck I left the front o2's in so it can run closed loop then just pull the back drivers side o2, they were deleted anyways. But yea you can tune it in open loop and then close it back up after you're done. Hell my truck is running OLSD full time. No problems here.

Thanks for the info.

BTW My SSS doesn't have cats so putting the WBO2 in the rear deleted 02's would work. But for a friend or family's vehicle that still has cats I don't beleive after the cat is an ideal spot to take a wideband reading. Thats what I have read. Plus I don't think most people want to run Speed Density open loop very much especially in DD's and areas that has drastic tempeture and elevation changes such as up here in Northern Minnesota. I may run open loop due to my truck only driven in the summer and driven hard :jester: .

Question about scanning... What scanning procedure should I follow such as how long do I let it scan in idle, driving in gear down the road (MPH, RPM ranges and how long) and WOT runs? And how long does a typical scan take to get accurate results? I want to get the best possible data for tuning and editing. I have a wideband for WOT operation too.

Finally a question that has been probably answered a hundred times. When tuning with wideband for a lightly modified car such as exhaust, CAI, typical bolt ons, can i just use one of the rear post cat o2's. I under stand it may skew the AFR a little but some tuner shops use a sniffer so it has to be better than that and post cat wideband for a stockish vehicle should sufficient enough to tune at least better than with no Wideband right? Or do you think it is just better off puting it in the front o2 spot and running in open loop like previously discussed with The_aSSt^^^? I want AFR readings throughout the rpms in closed and open loop operations.

If you mean logging, log for as long as you like to get sufficient data. A good number of hits on the histogram in the cells you want to see what's going on in. a typical log for me consists of idling for a bit then driving at city speeds and conditions then highway with WOT pulls, and WOT pulls from a dead stop

As for tuning cars with cats i'm no expert by any means but I would go before the cat and tune in OL then close it up.

Edited by The_aSSet (see edit history)

If you mean logging, log for as long as you like to get sufficient data. A good number of hits on the histogram in the cells you want to see what's going on in. a typical log for me consists of idling for a bit then driving at city speeds and conditions then highway with WOT pulls, and WOT pulls from a dead stop

As for tuning cars with cats i'm no expert by any means but I would go before the cat and tune in OL then close it up.

Thanks bud. I am just getting a plan together before I go out and do anything. I have read hours upon hours if not days of online info on hptuners forum and ls1 tech and a bunch of other forums as well as reading greg banish's book. I am kind of a perfectionist with my work and want it done right the first time... Even when I was working at my fathers shop he would tell me to hurry up after a repair because I would clean it up nicer then when we got it. Not saying that we didn't clean up I was just more of a perfectionist and nit picky.