best tires for our trucks?

chrisprater

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ive been running the eagle gt 285/50/20 for the las 5 years with great luck. They are a very well rounded tire. They are good in dry, wet and snow. My last lasted me about 30k miles too. If you drive youre SSS everyday and in the winter like i do youll be happy.

• 1 month later...

Just ordered Nitto NT420s for my RWD. I have stock tires on the truck now, at 28k miles, they still have tread, but are dry rotted, obviously. they are 8 years old!!

If I currently take a turn and barely hit the gas, it fishtails. Hoping to eliminate that with the Nittos. Will post and let yall know! GREAT THREAD btw

Hoping I didnt just make a huge mistake. I love the fact that my goodyear ls's are not rubber band tires. I got the SAME size in the NT420, (275/55/r20), But every pic online shows the widewall being significantly shorter then my goodyears. Is this correct or am I retarded?

May have spazed over nothing:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/89485914@N00/6980302744/lightbox/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/89485914@N00/7126386485/lightbox/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/89485914@N00/7126389277/lightbox/

Should be exactly the same

Edited by 02ws666 (see edit history)

• 1 month later...

Okay. Im wanting to order up some high performance street/strip tires. Ive looked at the Nitto 420s and NT05. Also did some looking into BFGs and even some M/T tires. Ive got 285/50R20 Cooper Zeons right now. Id like to get as close to a 28" tire as possible. The tires im running now are 31.5"ish.

Im debating the 285/40R20 (29"), whether it be the 420s or NT05, but they recommend a 20X9.5 to 20X11 rim. Ive got 20X8.5 American Racing RTS right now. They sell a 255/40R20 that is exactly 28" tall and recommends a 20X8.5 to 20X10 rim... But isnt a 255 pretty narrow? I love the way the 285s look, but i know a "285" differs in width from brand to brand. So are the Nittos just extremely wide compared to the standard tire? Is their 255 like a 275 of other brands? Cuz a 8.5 rim isnt exactly small. A 275 or 285 can be mounted with no issues. Should i just get the 285 nittos even though they recommend a 9.5-11 rim and see what happens? Lol. Any one else have any experiences to share?

UPDATE*

I looked up the 285/50R20 Cooper Zeons and they recommend a 8-10 rim for their 285s.. And Nitto recommends a 9.5-11... But the "section width" of the Coopers are actually wider than the Nittos, yet Nittos recommend a wider rim?! What gives?!

Edited by MID12sSSS (see edit history)

Almost 100% I'm going with the new toyo proxies either in 305 or 295.

Why are you choosing proxes? They're a softer tire?

Reason i ask is im still undecided of what i want. Convince me proxes are better and maybe ill get myself a set. Lol.

Yeah. Seems like every 40 series tire demands a 9+ rim, unless its a 255/40. The 285/50 can be mounted on a 8" rim, but you go to a 285/40 and they demand a 9.5".. So shorter sidewall needs wider rim. even though the actual tire widths dont vary that much.. I just think a 255 seems really narrow, but its a true 28" tire like i want, and it wont rub like my 285/50s will.. Damn. Lol. Might start rim shopping so i can get the tires i want. Ill just keep rockin my 285/50s until i can afford a rim/tire combo.

I wouldn't go under a 285 they just have that pencil look. Wait until you get some wheels. I'd say a 9" wheel with 285/40 would be a nice look. I like my 305/50 on the stock SS wheel. They bulge a little but still look good. And I like the designe of the toyo and there a little softer so maybe they will help me at the track.