need some info/advice

patrick4317

Well I got a 2007 tahoe with just over 100k on it. question is I'm wanting to put sythetic oil in it but I've heard all about how it will make it leak more and such. So I'm turning to the most knowledable guys I know, is there truth to this, something I should worry about? Should I just go with a high milage oil like castrol ?Thanks guye for any help.

Another AMSOIL Dealer here. This was actually listed as one of the questions that every dealer should know how to answer in this month's dealer edition of AMSOIL Magazine. Synthetic oils do not cause engines to leak oils. Our oil, for example, is fully compatible with modern seal materials and is properly formulated to condition seals, keeping them pliable to prevent leakage.

Really, where this myth comes from, is alot of times, when someone switches to synthetic oil, after many thousands of miles of conventional oil that hasn't been changed religiously, the synthetic oil begins cleaning out the internals. The seals have been warn out, but there wasn't a leak due to the amount of gunk actually plugging it up. When that is cleaned out, the gunk goes away and the seal does begin to show that it needs replaced. The problem with the gunk acting as a plug, is that it often doesn't reveal small problems until they become big ones. If the vehicle has been properly taken care of when the conventional oil was used, there will be absolutely no problems switching to synthetic. Hope that all made sense. If you have any other questions about it, feel free to let me know.

Depends on it's formulation. For example, we have one that is listed as OEM Spec that is listed for OEM intervals, but it's good for several extra thousand miles or a couple extra months. There is an XL, which is listed for 10k miles or 6 months, and our top-of-the-line stuff is rated for 25k or 12 months. All three will go well past their listed application. I'm not sure what kind you were using, but if it wasn't Signature Series AMSOIL, it should probably be changed in 6-8 months or less, or 6-7k or less....again, maybe more or less depending on its rating. I wouldn't leave it in there for a year and a half as a habit, but I doubt it hurt anything.

Edited by levilz (see edit history)