Onstar

Fepony

I gotta tell ya, for those that have NOT activated your Onstar acct. you are really missing out. When my girlfriend and I went looking for her a brand new vehicle I was concerned over her driving long distances for work alone. She is upper management for large corperation and drives very long distances for many business related trips. Not knowing her way in new cities and the possibility of something going wrong, (not just car trouble) really worried us. Onstar was a very big selling point for us. As it turns out, it is so much more than just an emergency item. The satelite locating is kinda scary (it can tell where you are anywhere on the planet within 3 feet)....yes we tested them...hehehehe. The ability to get you a tow truck with EXACT location without you leaving your vehicle, kids, pets, valuables and putting yourself at the mercy of the unknown as well. How?....the satelite phone that is in there as well. Handsfree, builtin controls as well as mic. The cost for the phone is sold in blocks of time that just run out... No minutes for this day or that day, this time or that time... just however long you use it at whatever time...easy. The cost is really reasonable. Great for calling ahead for appts. or whatever. At the touch of a button someone will answer you on the other end will answer and not just give you directions, but actually walk you to the door (remember they know your exact location) of whereever it is that you are going in that strange new city. :crazy: I gotta tell ya, this thing rocks! I wish Ford had it so I had it in my Harley truck!....

BTW... girlfriend and I use it more than I ever thought...great for those vacations like Sturgis or Daytona.... :thumbs:

Huh?....it's not a wife/husband tracking device. It doesn't work that way....doesn't anyone else use theirs?

If your vehicle is stolen all you do is call Onstar and they will "disable" the vehicle (turn off ignition) and give police the location of the now disabled vehicle.

• Admin

I've used OnStar in numerous GM press vehicles that i've driven. I'm totally in agreement with your position. OnStar guided me through Boston, and has saved my ass more than a few times getting to point "B"

I would not even hesitate to have it on my next vehicle! :cheers:

A guy as cheating on his wife and she knew it, so she called onstar and said she wanted know where the car was her husband parked it in the city for her to get and wasn't sure of the location. They told her she drove to the persn house he was cheating with . :smash::nono: She interned knocked on the door and he answered it.

I was going to get Onstar on my SS. But after looking in to it decided against it. I know three people at work that have it, one loves it (for the wife), and two never use it.

I was going to get just for the theft recovery. I called my insuranace agent, they told me that none of the insureance co. they deal with offer a discount for Onstar. To who's benifit is it to recover the vehicle? The insurance co. If my vehicle is stolen I want a new one, not something that has been taken on a joy ride and beaten to hell.

By the way it would take about two seconds to disable Onstar, break the antena or just cut the head liner and cut the cable to the antena. That is the main reason why I decided against it.

Don't get me wrong, I think it is a great product for the right person. If it was my wife's vehicle, it would have it. I travel all the time for my job, just not in my vehicle. For someone who travels it is great.

Me and the GF took her Blazer out to SD for Bike Week last year and when out there, there was NO other telephone service available.(except hardwired) But, the Onstar satelite phone worked without a hitch. We found ourselves looking for a motel room on the way to Yellowstone and Onstar called ahead and not only found us a place to stay, but made the reservations for us and lead us to the door... :D Gotta love it! :thumbs:

Me and the GF took her Blazer out to SD for Bike Week last year and when out there, there was NO other telephone service available.(except hardwired) But, the Onstar satelite phone worked without a hitch. We found ourselves looking for a motel room on the way to Yellowstone and Onstar called ahead and not only found us a place to stay, but made the reservations for us and lead us to the door... :D Gotta love it! :thumbs:

Me and the GF took her Blazer out to SD for Bike Week last year and when out there, there was NO other telephone service available.(except hardwired) But, the Onstar satelite phone worked without a hitch. We found ourselves looking for a motel room on the way to Yellowstone and Onstar called ahead and not only found us a place to stay, but made the reservations for us and lead us to the door... Gotta love it!

Cool!!!!!!!! :cheers:

Archived