Tip's on modding up a 2007 5.3L

All SS info Aside

I Just recently Bought a 2007 5.3L that was in a silverado and was looking to put it in a older vintage vehicle using the new E-rod system from GM and was looking for some options on modding her out to gain some more ponies etc.

I was looking for some opinions.

Cam/Pistons/Intake/Heads Etc.

Super charger is last option. lol

Hit me with some ideas guys I am all ears.

Thanks

I have a 5.3 i'm tearing into as well, my plans were to just put a nice cam in it, and replace the pistons with 4.8 pistons and replace the rings. The 4.8 pistons are flat tops and will get you more compression over the 5.3 dished pistons. Might as well throw in ARP bolts wherever you can and maybe some nice clevite bearings too.

From personal experience do not use the e-rod wiring harness, it has a seperate trans controller that is a joke. Go with a reputable vendor and get either an ls1 or an e38/67 pcm and have it modified for stand alone use

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

I am restoring my 1969 camaro and have been toying with power plant options and some one I know is doing and engine swap on there truck and I was told I could have the motor if wanted!

As far as goals for horse power and mpg

I was thinking around the 400hp range and mpg wasent really a true concern seeing as its going to be a Sunday drive type car!

I really didn't know how good of a system the GM performance e-rod system was I just like the concept of allowing you to put new power in an old vintage vehicle! Sounds lime you have experience Is it really that bad? Like can you compensate for mods on it by re-tuning the ECM they provide you with or is it just run it how it is type system?

I knew it didn't come with a trans computer I was planning on putting In a 6 speed manual in!

Edited by ssfast (see edit history)

If you are planning on a 6speed manual, then you'll be ok. And as long as you get an e67 pcm, you will be able to tune it Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

Where would I be able to snag a module like that from?

Any one else got in puts?

Like what heads should I put on? Or port out the stock ones what intake & throttle body is great for this application? What kinda cam will give me an upgrade and be decent for every day driving?

As I said looking for 400 to mid 400hp range!

I would stay with a gm efi system than going after market.

Sure you can tune a carb with a sledge hammer, but I prefer a fine assortment of screwdrivers, and aftermarket systems are very barberic

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

All right sounds good. I really do appreshiate your input chpspecial as far as that's concerned! Do you know where I could get a tunable ECM from that will work for that kit??

Any one have input as far as components to put on this thing? Like what heads to get or what can and what cam spec maybe some better pistons etc. if not ill just go to the engine shop and go from there!

depends on your 5.3. what heads do you have on it currently? personally id re use the stock rods and crank and get some 4.8 pistons or you can bore it to a 5.7. throw some 243's on it (ported if you can afford it) and a decent came then your intake choice obviously but you have a lot of options just depends on what you want to spend and how you want to make power. but a iron 5.7 isnt hard by any means to accomplish and is just a larger bore

its out of a 2007 Chevy pick up the product code is LC9 its completely stock. seems like the verdict is to put 4.8 pistons in. I have been looking parts and Trick flow has a nice setup for these motors with a cam and head combo for about $2000 is that a good start?