Drum brakes are back

Aldofashow

If I bought a new chevy I would!!! When I had my SS I was replaceing pads rotors every year just about! My father bought and 07 serria that had disk/ drum brakes just like our 88 gmc and that thing would throw you threw the windshield !!! My SS on the other hand was horrible!!! He now has a 2012 disk/drum still will throw you threw the windshield!!

My truck now has stock drilled slotted disk all the way around and will stop on a dime!! Chevy just needs to stick with the old disk/drums unless they can solve the pads prematurely wearing and also stop the terrible stopping!!!!

Edited by NoMoreSS (see edit history)

They actually contribute more to decreased stopping distance than the discs on the 03-05. Also, like said above gm was having issues with the almost non existence of the parking brake. They damn sure dont look half as good as the disc brakes though lol.

Another case of more money then brains who would buy a new truck with drum brakes

Uh, apparently anybody who bought a GMT800/900 truck equipped with drums! :uhoh:

Just because drums are aesthetically "uglier" than discs, doesn't mean that they should be relegated to ancient history. They serve their purpose well IMO. That being said, I did want to do a rear disc swap on my old '06 Sierra, purely for the look of having 4-wheel discs. From my experience working in a GM dealership servicing many, many different trucks (as well as my own) with either rear discs or drums - discs wear out/need replaced far sooner than drums. Drums are less expensive to manufacture, and definitely less expensive to maintain/replace. Win-win for the manufacturer and the average customer who is clueless as to what makes a vehicle stop.

When I wrote off my '06 Sierra with nearly 150,000kms on it, the rear drum shoe linings had 3-4mm of friction surface (which is plenty, brand new is 5mm) with no abnormal wear on either the shoes or the drums themselves; I was well into my second set of front rotors and pads by that time. On the SS, both front and rear rotors and pads were shot when I purchased the truck at 128,000kms. Even with proper set up of the park brake shoes with new OEM rotors and pads on the rear of the SS, the park brake is just fkn terrible compared to a drum set up.

My 2 cents.

This is gm make a better disc brake setup you sell a truck for 38000 brand new I think they can afford it so sick of how cheesey they make new vehicles all of them not just gm plastic everything older cars could hit a tree and still drive home not these new cars and they cost ten times as much

The main reason for drum brakes was the parking brake issues. The 05+ biggest gain in breaking wasn't the drums in the rear, it was the larger front set up. Do the 05 plus on the front of an awd sss and see the difference in breaking.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2