quick shudder when coming to a stop??

matt 2k12

Well I might have "burnt thru" or flat out nuked my ABS module today as well. Something broke and clunked when my CEL came on. Hopefully it is just for a warning and not a damaged module. Im gonna try to run codes this evening.

EDIT - when you were doing this diagnosis, was the ABS doing this on the front or rear wheel(s)? Is the speed sensor on all 4 wheels?

his issue started with the RR sensor and progressed from there. and yes there is a sensor on all your wheels

As Fireman31 suggested, inspect the brakes and have your truck scanned for DTC's. That will help pinpoint your issue and eliminate a lot of guessing.

Just relaying what kc and levilz already wrote, there are wheel speed sensors on your front wheels only, not the rear. As your truck is 2wd, you will have a VSS on the right side of the transmission tailhousing. Sounds similar to an issue that a friend of mine was having with his '07 classic 4wd Silv, his t-case VSS was on the fritz (there were more issues w/ the t-case besides the sensor tho), and it was causing the trans, ABS, and speedo to freak out.

Ok that is great info about the VSS. Are there any diagrams or PDF manuals available online? Im a big time DIYer. Is the VSS easy to access and change without removing other parts or is it like inside the transmission case? Also, my transmission was rebuilt about 20 or 30k miles ago and my fluid is all still nice and bright red. I think the transmission itself is still running strong. But I'm sure the VSS has close to 180k or 200k miles on it. The bell housing / tranny actually came from a different truck with more miles than mine. Either way, the stock sensor has well over 100k miles on it, wether it came from my truck or the donor truck.

his issue started with the RR sensor and progressed from there. and yes there is a sensor on all your wheels

my bad guys i should of stated the vehicle we were working on (07nissan maxima)

I bet your rear E-Brake lining are toast!! Pull the rear wheels off & remove the rotors- If you can.

I think the speed-o problem is just a coincidence too. Time for the white faced SSS cluster (w/trans temp) upgrade. You can find them on Ebay for an exchange on your old VHO one. Most vendors will even program your mileage in...

Edited by Bad Bowtie (see edit history)

Ok that is great info about the VSS. Are there any diagrams or PDF manuals available online? Im a big time DIYer. Is the VSS easy to access and change without removing other parts or is it like inside the transmission case? Also, my transmission was rebuilt about 20 or 30k miles ago and my fluid is all still nice and bright red. I think the transmission itself is still running strong. But I'm sure the VSS has close to 180k or 200k miles on it. The bell housing / tranny actually came from a different truck with more miles than mine. Either way, the stock sensor has well over 100k miles on it, wether it came from my truck or the donor truck.

0996b43f80203155.gif

That is the same picture that I have access to in GM service information.. the VSS just bolts to the right side of the transmission tailshaft, should be very easy to remove.

Hope that helps!