What to get and where to get basic bolt ons

csroberts

Hey there guys, well I finally finished playin with my Duramax and am ready to start playin with the ss again! I'm lookin at either black bear or Wheatley tuning, and some long tubes. From what I've read dynatech are a good option. If anyone has any other recommendations that'd be awesome! And where are you guys ordering your headers from? What other basic bolt ons are you guys runnin?

Obx headers are a knock off of the first gen dynotech and will do most of what you want for a stock cubed na build. And are stainless and a bolt on with catless mid pipes for a fraction of the cost. I'm still running mine although now the build I have can greatly benefit from the arh 1.875 primary and 3" collector. If your going to stay with a mild na build stay with obx and put the extra money else where. You can also get pacesetter but they are not stainless and do not offer bolt on mid pipes. If you want to spend a touch more, get the obx jet coated and get great looks along with a header that will keep under hood temps down and possibly benefit from a faster exhaust velocity by keeping the heat in.

Other bolt on opinions might be, and it depends on your definition of bolt on because heads technically bolt on:

Cai

Full roller rockers

Heads

Cam

E fan

E water pump

Under drive pulley

Thinner head gasket

Ls7 lifters

Ls2 lifter trays

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Edited by shadowsniper3006 (see edit history)

Thanks for the input guys! Ya I'm thinkin bout just doin headers, cam and all the necessary valve train stuff, tune maybe e-fans. I wanna keep it basically stock for now. Haven't really looked into heads much what're you guys runnin for different heads? Or are ya just porting/polishing the 317's?

you can run the 317s done CNCd and all, or if your staying NA you can get a set of 243s (LS gen 3 heads from Corvette, Camaro, etc) which have a smaller chamber to raise your compression a good bit. that would benefit you with a nice cam and some headers like mentioned. you can find 243s on the LS1tech forums and pt.net like crazy for some good money. for what your talking, any one of the headers made for these trucks will do just fine, its just a matter of money. the pacesetters are very popular as they are very inexpensive, but not stainless like mentioned... so if you get those make sure they are coated, thats important for several reasons... the OBX headers are good headers and popular, just a bit more money. dynatech is pretty damn similar like said to OBX but more money, but if you look hard online there are great deals on older new systems people never sold for dynatech that makes them cheaper than OBX sometimes. IMO a 3" collector and 1 7/8" primaries is totally unnecessary for a bolt on setup, even with a mild cam and heads you are not going to benefit from that other than loosing some low end toque to gain maybe 2-3 hp up top... (thats assuming you have a cam and heads... stock bolt ons there is no benefit over 1 3/4" primaries and 2.5" collectors).