OBS Tahoe

90zxdriver

As I was on my way out of town Sunday for training I saw an OBS Tahoe for sale on the side of the road. I was able to get the number as I drove by and it looked to be in pretty decent shape from a distance (I know, means nothing). Anyway. I called while I was on the road and it is a white 99 (the old body style, think 98) LT, 4x4, grey leather w/ rear A/C. Original owner w/ 167k on it. It was the woman's husbands truck and he died and it never gets driven. They are asking $4,900 and supposedly have all records from new. Florida truck, no rust. I have always liked this generation of the Tahoe and C/K1500. I'm not getting rid of my SS... not happening but I have been considering getting something else as a DD to keep the miles off the truck and keep the dog out of the truck! I bought some real nice custom seat covers to protect the leather (and they do) but my truck is still disgusting with dog hair everywhere from Dexter my German Shepherd. I try to keep it clean but with a dog that has a double coat, it is pointless. Anyway, I think they are a but high on the price with that many miles but I do like the original owner aspect. I'm going to look at it this weekend when I get home.

I have been thinking of getting a SUV as a second vehicle/DD. I have had my eye on a few older Durango R/T's and have been looking for a 1998 5.9 Limited Grand Cherokee. I have also tossed the idea of buying a cheap 4cyl Camry or something that gets decent gas mileage. In reality, I should probably just work on paying the SS off, finishing the Z06 brake conversion and be happy.

I had a xl Denali up the road for 5500 I think 2004 had to have high miles but still I would jump all over it if I had the money the point is your gonna see these old pimp rides we would've killed for 10 years ago selling for short doe cause there gonna be hard to get bank loans for so for the guy that can fix any thing lots of good deals coming

ive owned 2 OBS yukons. both 99s, there pretty solid trucks main issue with them is the intake manifold gaskets leaking and exhaust manifold leaks. also for some reason both of mine had a/c compressor issues lol. other than that i miss them both

ive owned 2 OBS yukons. both 99s, there pretty solid trucks main issue with them is the intake manifold gaskets leaking and exhaust manifold leaks. also for some reason both of mine had a/c compressor issues lol. other than that i miss them both

After reading this I just did some research on the intake manifold gasket replacement... ugh, that looks like it sucks and is a PITA! I'll have to look over the motor rear good so see is showing any signs of going bad. You seem pretty familiar with these trucks, anything else to look for that would be considered a common problem?

I know this next question has many variables but is there a mileage that the old Vortec 350 will get to before a rebuild/replacement needs to be considered. 167k is a lot of miles. I guess the condition if the truck will speak for itself once I see it. Plus, the price is a high for the mileage.

those 350s are work horses if its taken care of it should last a long time. my 99 denali had a knock and only made 8~ psi oil pressure at idle and it still ran for 20k with the knock and it had 110k on it. wound up trading it in for my old DD. the manifold gaskets are very common but its not the end of the world of they go bad either. mine both never had the issue but its very very common. go stop in at tahoeyukonforum.com they have a section just for OBS trucks. my first one had a t-case issue it was the push button and it would shift very harshly out of 4hi. in the end these trucks are very basic so if it all appears good you should be strait.