Hi everyone, this is my first post to this site so go easy on me. I just bought an 03 SSS Monday and whenever I'm cruising around 40 mph and accelerate, something starts whining. I'm guessing it's one of my axles in the front, sounds like the driver side. Has anyone had a similar issue? Also, does anyone know where to get beefier axles? Like gorilla axle makes for ATVs.

If its a whining noise I'd almost be afraid it might be your front differential, these trucks have had some bad luck with them. Normally when a cv shaft goes out or starts to show signs of problems the bearings will grind or scrape sort of or click. easiest way to tell is just grab the center of each axle and see if there is any play in the bearings, then from there jack up the front end and spin the front tires to see if you can pinpoint the noise. Could also be a bad bearing in one of the front hub assemblies.

Hey Bryce, Welcome to the site and congrats on finding your truck. :cheers:

As Zach say's these trucks are known for the front diff trouble.

An easy project that will give you some insight into what shape your diff is in is to drain it and check the magnetic drain plug for metal.

Fresh fluid will sometimes quiet the diff for a while. Some folks run them noisy for extended lengths of time. Regular fluid changes can extend the life of the unit.

I don't know of any heavy duty axle parts available.

Thanks I was also thinking it could be the differential but hoping it was not. I was going to ask if changing the fluid would help because I did check the level and it was almost an inch low. I will try that before looking to get it rebuilt. I will say this truck has a lot of miles so I can see where the previous owners were neglectful, I need to do some serious pm on this truck. I got a slamming good deal on it so hopefully what I put into it will be worth it.