A/C belt issues?

rdavid0412

It isnt burning the belt off nor making any noises indicating the compressor is bad. Could it have something to do with hitting 6k RPMs? It's a new balancer, new belt, and new tensioner.

Last summer I helped a buddy with the a/c belt on his Escalade (same drivetrain as the SSS). Whenever the a/c would kick on, it would throw the belt. As previously mentioned, it was a bad bearing in the a/c clutch. The a/c pully was seizing up which destroyed the tensioner. New compressor, tensioner and belt and all is good now.

I'm not beating my truck with the ac on. And there is zero indication the ac clutch is going bad. I think I'm going to have a custom tensioner pulley made at the machine shop with some lips on the ends to prevent the belt from walking or jumping off.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Ok I am having this problem now. I ate the 10 year old belt and it got thrown, Then today the new belt got thrown off the pulley with the A/C off. I was running it a little hard in town. I put it back on and all works, but I haven't given it a hard run again. Is there a HD tensioner for the A/C that puts more pressure on the belt?

What kind of belts are you guys using? I put a dayco belt on mine (original ac, tensioner and balancer) the belt was a bitch to get on but I haven't had any issues. I know my little 5.3 doesn't make much power compared to most of your trucks but I beat the hell out of it on a regular basis.

What kind of belts are you guys using? I put a dayco belt on mine (original ac, tensioner and balancer) the belt was a bitch to get on but I haven't had any issues. I know my little 5.3 doesn't make much power compared to most of your trucks but I beat the hell out of it on a regular basis.

Goodyear Gatorback #4040377