Home Audio Purchase

Doughty08

I'm currently deployed in Afghanistan and have been looking at getting me a new stereo system for the house. My spending limit is 2 grand and I'm really interested in the Cerwin Vega XLS-15s which runs about a grand for the two. I'm not to knowledgeable about how power amplifiers work with the receivers but figured id need one as well for the subs so any ideas on a decent amp that aint a grand would help. My question is do i hook the amplifier up to the receiver to push the subs and if so do i just run the rest of the surround speakers off the other channels on the receiver. Also am i missing anything else that will make this an epic sound system? Thanks for all the help

Edited by Doughty08 (see edit history)

I'm currently deployed in Afghanistan and have been looking at getting me a new stereo system for the house. My spending limit is 2 grand and I'm really interested in the Cerwin Vega XLS-15s which runs about a grand for the two. I'm not to knowledgeable about how power amplifiers work with the receivers but figured id need one as well for the subs so any ideas on a decent amp that aint a grand would help. My question is do i hook the amplifier up to the receiver to push the subs and if so do i just run the rest of the surround speakers off the other channels on the receiver. Also am i missing anything else that will make this an epic sound system? Thanks for all the help

Your receiver is going to be the heart and soul of your system. Truthfully a half decent one is going to cost you close to a grand if not over and that's going to be for a lower to middle of the road model.

You will want to buy some plate amps for your sub/s if you have some that do not have built in amps. Just FYI, the 15" speaker in that Vega is not a sub (didn't know if that's where you were going). Subwoofer will basically hook with rcas from the plate amp or sub (if amp is built in) to sub out on the back of the receiver. At that point (or can) receiver has control of crossover and level.

You will just run the rest of your speakers off of your receiver. Center channel goes to center channel, left to left, ect...

The question here is are you tryin for surround sound or are you just trying to play some music in the house? To me it sounds like the later and that changes reviever options.

I would always go Integra for receivers. I am a dealer for them. They are very legit. Tried about every other brand marantz, denon, onkyo, yamaha, harmon/kardon, pioneer elite, ect...

www.integrahometheater.com

Sent from Rezound using Tapatalk 2

Edited by TampaVmax (see edit history)

I honestly dont know what the heck i need but i def want it to sound hardcore and im def into the big ass speakers but dont know what all that comes with making something like that work and still be able to watch a movie with the wife. I know im being a shithead but what do yall think is the best way to go about running speakers like those cause i dont know what your talking about plate amps. Those recievers are amazing though i just cant spend that dang much right now lol.

If your going surround sound you are really going to want to invest in a nice receiver. I do a base line system for people on a budget that is 5 Niles 8inch in ceiling speakers and a Integra 30.4 for around 2000$. This does not include sub or install of cutting the speakers in. Truthfully I would always do 7.1 if I had the choice or even 9.1 or 9.2. Not trying to sell you anything. Just to give you a view on things. If you just want to toss some speakers on an amp and play stereo then your budget is more reasonable.

Home audio is a huge market and a very pricey one at that. Need to kind of know what you want to aim for as far as setup before can really give advice.

Yea thats pretty much it, i want a big ass stereo for when i get home to party with but also a nice foundation to build into something better in the long run. So for now i want something that can give those subs if not the dual 15's the power they need to be clear and not distort. i believe the dual 15s are 500 max and 250 rms at 8ohms.

Thanks again for the replies fellas cause ive been trying to figure out a good power source for the past couple days n just dont wanna make an impulse decission and get the wrong equipment.

Truthfully I don't know of any reciever that is going to push that kind of power for under 1k. Most people that want power like that do a preamp that all the sources connect to and does your processing then you multichannel out (rcas or proprietary connectors depending) to a big amp. Even then its iffy to get that much power. Most good amps are going to get you 100-200~ watts rms. That's depending on ohm load. I'm sure if you piped a good 100-150 watts to those speakers, you would have nothing to worry about.

To the point...

Surround sound in the future. Invest in a nice 7.1 receiver. I would take this option.

No surround sound ever. Get a 2 channel receiver ~300$ (don't know any that are going to have big power. Usually only 50-75w a channel) or cheap ~100$ receiver and multichannel out with 2 decent plate amps (another 150$/each but will give you that 200-250w rms). Only issue with this is most plate amps will need to be mounted on something.

Either option, keep the strap across the positives and the strap across the negatives on the speakers that comes from the factory. This will allow you to go into one channel per speaker and you won't have to worry about crossovers because the speakers you chose have built in capacitor crossovers that cross the mid and tweeter at the correct level. So set your front crossover point on whatever option above you chose to 40hz (lowest safe frequency they go is 36hz) and you will be good to go.

Sorry for the wall of text.

Edited by TampaVmax (see edit history)