Cold Air Intake

Why dry filter and not oiled?

Not sure on why. Prob because oiled filters hold a lot more dirt. It sticks to them. Pain in the ass to clean also.

Dry filter you can knock off or compressed air it and most of the dirt comes out. Also don't have to buy that oil and oil cleaner.

Sent from Rezound using Tapatalk 2

This only happens when people over oil the filter and don't let it dry before installing

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

i understand that brother but it seems this happens more often then not mines a dry filter but I hear about this happening to a lot of people just wanted to through it out there to make people aware

Not sure on why. Prob because oiled filters hold a lot more dirt. It sticks to them. Pain in the ass to clean also. Dry filter you can knock off or compressed air it and most of the dirt comes out. Also don't have to buy that oil and oil cleaner.Sent from Rezound using Tapatalk 2

Never ever use compressed air!!! Just throw it out and get a new one!! Also if you have a cone style K&N just get the cover that goes over the cone it pics up smaller particals of dirt and such!! I have one an it picks up a lot of dust!!

I also have the aem cover for my filter. What's wrong with cleaning a filter with compressed air? As long as you blow it the opposite way I see no issues.

Sent from Rezound using Tapatalk 2

Im just saying... The oiled filters, when lightly oiled, catch a ton of dirt/debris.... I just didnt know if there was some other reason I was missing out on... If its just less of a pain to use a dry, then I'll stick with oil all day long. Those things get NASTY, as they should. Clean off easy...

I ran 2 oiled filters for 4 years. Same filter just had one clean and at the ready because I live in a dusty area. Never had a problem. My mother and the girlfriend did throw a fit that I would use the sink spray hose to clean the filter.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Xparent Red Tapatalk 2

i have been using the same Volant oiled filter for 9 years now with no issues. when i clean mine, after it's installed i will take the truck for a good run down the freeway for about 10 miles, and then remove the MAF and clean it, and the TB..if you want to see how well your filter is doing, next time you change/clean your filter, take a white towel/rag and wipe down the inside of your intake tube, and see what you get...i live in a very dusty area of the high desert so i clean mine often. this past week winds were blowing to 70 mph for 3 1/2 days and visibility was less than 100 yards... :mad:

this is what it looks like after a lite breeze..

post-2901-0-48799600-1366741569_thumb.jpg

Edited by desrtrat (see edit history)