Solutions to OBX header hump?

SS-GTP

Well after doing some thread research I'm leaning towards the OBX header. I've seen comments about having to do some additional work to keep from melting the plug wires due to the plumbing design. I didn't find any pictures and asking if people have any showing how they resolved the issue or at least some more descriptions of what's been done.

• I've ruled out the pacesetters due to the 6 months of salty roads
  • Budget wise I'm looking at the OBX, Texas Speed, or LPP. I like the fact that the OBX just bolts in (pro), but not sure how much hassle the hump is going to be, which I'm looking for feedback on. Also it looks like the TS and LPP would require additional exhaust work to make a mid-pipe as I don't see a 6.0L "Y" offering so that's a con.

i had the obx headers and the worked good specially for the price you cant complain . they bolted up with no problems. the hump thing took me a while to figure out . i used plug wire boots heat wrap and in the end the solution was simple . this is what i used and never had a burnt wire from there on ... just bolt it to your valve cover for te rear 2 driver side plugs and youll be good. https://www.google.com/shopping/product/10059775844553777711?safe=active&rlz=1C1CHFX_enUS499US499&biw=1440&bih=799&q=spectre%20plug%20wire%20holder&oq=spectre+plug+wire+holder&gs_l=serp.3...7836.12091.0.12849.10.10.0.0.0.0.217.1350.4j3j3.10.0...0.0...1c.1.9.serp.bddWTWMEaHk&sa=X&ei=Zn91UYavNea2igLv3IHQDA&ved=0CFoQ8wIwAA

What I have seen is people use these to protect from the headers.

http://m.summitracing.com/parts/mrg-11077?seid=srese1

Edit. Idaho got it before me

Sent from Rezound using Tapatalk 2

Edited by TampaVmax (see edit history)

Thanks for the feedback, the solution is a lot simpler then I feared. I was envisioning having to make some sort of custom heat shield.

chevyss_3 - I also haven't found the TS or LPP's in stock helping my decision, especially since I had 1 cat come apart last week.

• 5 months later...

Does anybody know if this is the new style OBX without the "hump" and will fix my 03 AWD ss?? Ebay says they will, but i've come to not just trust that. I am going to be running headers into true duals, probably with no cats. Just wanna know if these should fit...Thanks for any info

http://www.ebay.com/itm/OBX-Exhaust-Header-Long-Tube-99-06-Chevy-Silverado-Avalanche-Suburba-4-8-5-3L-/181204981807?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Model%3ASilverado+1500%7CSubmodel%3ASS&hash=item2a30a8982f&vxp=mtr

Does anybody know if this is the new style OBX without the "hump" and will fix my 03 AWD ss?? Ebay says they will, but i've come to not just trust that. I am going to be running headers into true duals, probably with no cats. Just wanna know if these should fit...Thanks for any info

http://www.ebay.com/itm/OBX-Exhaust-Header-Long-Tube-99-06-Chevy-Silverado-Avalanche-Suburba-4-8-5-3L-/181204981807?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Model:Silverado+1500|Submodel:SS&hash=item2a30a8982f&vxp=mtr

Those ones don't come with collectors or the y pipe so unless you plan on getting a exhaust shop to custom fit those ones I wouldn't get them. The o es with the hump are the ones to get and fit good.

I won't need a Y pipe or anything. I will have straight duals out the back from the headers with no cats. Just a dynomax X flow muffler. I live in North Dakota and emissions isn't an issue, but from what i've been reading stainless steel is a must up here. I was going to go with pacesetters, but they are only coated and I've heard they won't hold up in the long run in the weather I deal with up here because I will be driving my truck in the winter. I have read A LOT of information about OBX and have heard great things. I know Dynatech came out with the new style fixing the "hump" issue. I was just wondering if anybody had heard if OBX had once again copy-cat the design and if these were it because I'd like to go with them and get them coated as well if they will work. Thanks for the info guys. I have read and learned a ton on this site.