New build and a few questions

The run down:

2009 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 CrewCab 5.3 My current mods are American Racing headers w/ y-pipe and no cats, Dynomax catback and Volant Power Core CAI.

Sitting on the shelf I have a Whipple SuperCharger and Lingenfelter GT2-3 cam. When I get it tuned they'll port my throttle body.

The questions:

I'm ready to begin the upgrade and will have my heads ported since they have to be removed to install the cam. I was leaning toward Lingenfelter for this also, are there any other highly reputable porters that without a doubt give me better results?

Are there any other engine related odd and ends I should consider while its apart, I'll address drive train later.

What is the smallest size pulley I can safely run and approximate boost?

Thanks ini advance

You dont have to remove the heads to install a cam. Any machine shop can port and polish the heads for a cheaper price than Ligenfilter. Results will be basically the same as most machinest's use a CNC. You might want to get a larger trans cooler and start thinking about that trans. thats the one piece of drivetrain you dont want to wait on, or youll have a nice idling truck that cant move.

Not sure on the pulley size for that blower, but I wouldnt go with anything larger than 6LBS.

Edited by Blown 346 (see edit history)

You dont have to remove the heads to install a cam. Any machine shop can port and polish the heads for a cheaper price than Ligenfilter. Results will be basically the same as most machinest's use a CNC. You might want to get a larger trans cooler and start thinking about that trans. thats the one piece of drivetrain you dont want to wait on, or youll have a nice idling truck that cant move.

Not sure on the pulley size for that blower, but I wouldnt go with anything larger than 6LBS.

The heads have to be removed in order to do the DOD. I realize most shops can port & polish but I would prefer one that has R&D in there CNC profiles. I was wondering if others had used MAST, Advanced Air Research etc and had feedback on them. As far as the trans and all I was gong to start another thread to keep this one for getting off topic, I do have plans on the larger cooler, stall etc.

Why would you recommend no more than 6lbs? My buddy is running 9-10lbs on his SS with 243 heads on a 6.0.

Sounds like a nice setup bro, and Welcome to the site.

Thanks!

does it have DOD? i know when doing cams in the 07+ if they have DOD theres a few things to use to delete it all

Yes, I'll have to do the DOD delete.

The only reason i don't suggest going over the 6 lbs is because of the trans. When you start making decent power by adding a cam, heads and supercharger, the trans takes a hell of a beating if left alone, and many don't last long. If you plan on just driving it, and not outing power to it then you'll be fine. Who in there right mind wouldn't want to have some fun with 500 HP?

The next steps for that trans would be not only the cooler, but a shift kit and syncros. That will help the trans until you either by a built one or have one built.

The only reason i don't suggest going over the 6 lbs is because of the trans. When you start making decent power by adding a cam, heads and supercharger, the trans takes a hell of a beating if left alone, and many don't last long. If you plan on just driving it, and not outing power to it then you'll be fine. Who in there right mind wouldn't want to have some fun with 500 HP?

The next steps for that trans would be not only the cooler, but a shift kit and syncros. That will help the trans until you either by a built one or have one built.

I planned on upgrading the drivetrain, i just hadn't mentioned it in this thread.I am going to open a new topic. The 6L80E are actually pretty stout, supposedly handling 450hp stock. (6L90E 550hp) My plans were to get a larger cooler, 2500 stall, and proper tune. The 6L80E has its own ECU that you can program line pressure, shift points, firmness etc so the only other upgrade would be the clutches if they wear prematurely which I doubt.

Sounds like its gonna be a fun ride. Sounds like you have a pretty good game plan as well. The only thing I would add is I e heard whipple has terrible customer service. A magna charger IMO would be the way to go.

Sounds like its gonna be a fun ride. Sounds like you have a pretty good game plan as well. The only thing I would add is I e heard whipple has terrible customer service. A magna charger IMO would be the way to go.

It actually is a MP112, I've got a bad habbit of generalizng things.