Did GM change the tensioner *pics*

90zxdriver

Finally changing my belts and tensioners. A/C belt was no problem. Issue is with the main serpentine belt tensioner. The new part is different than the original part. The old one has three mounting points and the new one only has two. However, the two do line up. I bought everything from the dealer by my VIN#. So did GM change the tensioner or did the dealer mess up and give me the wrong part?

Well, I also noticed as I was looking over the parts that the new belt is a different part number than the old belt. The part numbers on the two tensioners were also different, although, the part-number on the new tensioner comes back as a GM pat. Both the A/C belt and tensioner part numbers match so I went ahead and changed those as the A/C belt was cracking and the tensioner was rattling. The main serpentine belt didn't have any issued and the tensioner seemed fine. They may have been replaced before I got the truck so I just put the old stuff back on. Due to the tensioner being different and a different part number for the belt, I'm thinking the dealer gave me the wrong parts for the main serpentine belt. Also, the box the main tensioner didn't say GM anywhere on it and all three other parts had GM everywhere. I'm going to go back to the dealer and have them verify the part numbers (and also verify the tensioner is actually a GM part and they didn't sell me aftermarket... I'll be pissed!).

This all started because I was bored and said, "hey, I don't remember the last time I have ever checked my air filter". Turns out, I had never cracked the intake assembly. This then lead to cleaning the MAF and then the throttle body. Then I figured while I had the whole intake system apart, it would be a great time to put on the new belts and tensioners I had previously bought. On a positive note, muck to my surprise, my truck had a K&N drop in filter and I just happened to have a re-charge kit sitting around. Also, the truck idles much smoother now, it had developed a slight shutter at idle... probably because the throttle body was black and looks like it had never been cleaned before.

Yeah id say the good old dealer screwed up and sold you the wrong shit... By the way, that TB isnt THAT dirty...should have seen the one i pulled off my 270K mile f-body....that thing was nasty