Possible new DD.

Recently I posted that I was finally retiring the SS to the garage and getting a new DD and was seriously considering a Honda S2000. After driving a couple of them, I've determined that I can't see myself in one of these for 2-3 hours per day. I'm 6'3" and 250ish and the cockpit of this car if just too little for me to have to sit in it that long. Yesterday on my way home, I stopped by the Ford dealership(don't jump on me yet) and drove a new 2014 Mustang GT premium, I've never pictured myself owning a Ford and until recently wouldn't have even considered it. After driving that car and see how much power it had as well as the gas mileage from a 415hp car (18-19 city\ 26-27 hwy) and talking to a friend of mine that has a 2011 GT Premium and is getting 29-30mpg consistently on his 50 mile one way commute. I'm seriously considering getting a pony car as a DD. I looked at a Camaro SS and they're nice but get about the same mileage as my truck... I'm looking for the best compromise between performance and economy and I'm seriously thinking Ford has done it with this car.

That's my spill let the comments fly...

31231527527.345152611.IM1.MAIN.565x421_A

Edited by Sneakystiffler21 (see edit history)

wow I didn't realize those mustangs were 415hp and still getting 27+ highway

I still like the camaro but can't let myself pull the trigger because of the mpg...

Tough call going Ford but hey... when it breaks you can always try and sell it.

Had the Camaro ss/rs and gas mileage was around 18-20 driving very easy. On highway maybe 22 +- 1-2. With 426 HP nice ride for cruising as there a heavy car. I bought a 04 cobra and love it just as much. 600 rwhp and still 18-20 mpg hwy. I'm a hard GM guy but have had fords in the past and have realized it doesn't matter what it is just keep it maintained and it will treat you well. Nice musrat btw. Lol

i dont see those mpgs numbers. edmunds has mustang gt listed as 15/26 and camaro ss as 16/24. not a lot of difference there. and to me the camaro looks better. I guess it comes down to preference. id go drive the camaro if you havent yet.

Damn ford lovers. I wanna ban hammer. No way I'd drive a mustang over a camaro. To me there ugly anyway. You want fuel mileage get a Prius.

Would you like to ban me? I'm just using real world knowledge, GM is falling behind Ford big time.

Damn ford lovers. I wanna ban hammer. No way I'd drive a mustang over a camaro. To me there ugly anyway. You want fuel mileage get a Prius.

I want performance, but with current gas prices and my 120+ mile commute every day, driving my truck is putting a ton of miles on it and costing me around $800+ in gas. I'm not totally opposed to a Camaro yet and was actually looking at some gen IVs after someone recommended it in the thread.

Would you like to ban me? I'm just using real world knowledge, GM is falling behind Ford big time.

I dont agree with that at all. I think some of gms newest vehicles are the best they have had in a while.

I just love the fourth gen because parts are so easily available and inexpensive. Not to mention the car itself will be tremendously less than a brand new mustang. If warranty and comfort of having a brand new car is what youre after then by all means buy whatever you please but if its just going to be a DD Id buy another 4th gen camaro in a heart beat. I bought this car with 263,xxx miles on it only about 4 months ago and have since tacked on another 10k miles of DD use, I drive from Dallas to East Texas every weekend and drive the car 35+ miles to work every day each way and the only hiccup ive had was from a crappy alternator that the previous owner installed and redid all the brakes, again because the previous owner was an idiot. Sure I dont have a warranty or a fancy new car but what I do have is a reliable DD that I can maintain and work on myself, it has plenty of get up and go and is a blast to drive and best of all, no car payment.

i think its funny when people compare the new ford stuff to the chevy technology that was designed what 15 years ago (LS ENGINE) and say that chevy is falling behind , way to go ford for catching up after 15 + years of being behind . cant wait till all of the new stuff comes out and they are behind AGAIN with their brand new technology...

I dont agree with that at all. I think some of gms newest vehicles are the best they have had in a while.

I agree, but they are still behind ford (and others)

i think its funny when people compare the new ford stuff to the chevy technology that was designed what 15 years ago (LS ENGINE) and say that chevy is falling behind , way to go ford for catching up after 15 + years of being behind . cant wait till all of the new stuff comes out and they are behind AGAIN with their brand new technology...

I wasn't, I was comparing overall packages. the mustang is more car for less money. end of story. this is my business, not a hobby.