Can you wainscot over a textured wall ??

cmoney23

Hey guys. Any handymen out there.. Well im a bit of a DIY kinda guy. Can you wainscot over a textured wall? If you can i know i would have to run some caulk of some sort over the top to make it flush.

I've done two rooms with it in the past and I did not worry about the texture. Just glued and nailed it right up. Came put really nice. Except when I went to take it down it pretty much destroyed the walls. LOL that's to be expected though.

What kind of texture? Orange peel, knockdown? Is the wall regular old drywall or old-school plaster? I've noticed older slat and mortar or plaster walls tend to be crooked. That can really make your board look like crap.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

Edited by TampaVmax (see edit history)

You can indeed do it over texture. But like Tampa said, don't expect to save the walls after if you use glue (this is true of textured or regular drywall.) And don't expect a perfect looking fit without a solid putty/paint finish.

I'd just hit the studs and putty the nail holes like SSmooth suggested.

Great info guys.. im not sure what kind of texture it is. Ive never had a textured wall. Just bought a new house and all the walls are textured. The wife really wants thus done to the formal dining room and living room. So i will be doing this in 1 month when i move in. Just trying to get as much useful info as possible.

We did it and it looks great. We also used a nice chairrail at the top to blend it back to the wall.

I used both nails and adhesive. Just stay away from name brand Liquid Nails. It's overpriced. Go with DAP adhesive or similar, its about 1/2 the cost per tube ... :thumbs: