Under hood temps

kissfans03ss

I was just curious if you guys might know what temps are found under the hood of our trucks?.

I know the engine runs around 200° and exhaust gets to around 1500° but what would the under hood temps be? I am thinking about a future mod and don't want things to melt.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Im sure it all depends. It depends on whether you have a vented hood (cowl or ram style), if your headers/exhaust are wrapped, how long you've been driving and how hard the engine has been working... Im sure whatever you're going to do will be fine as long as you keep it away from moving/hot components.

Im sure it all depends. It depends on whether you have a vented hood (cowl or ram style), if your headers/exhaust are wrapped, how long you've been driving and how hard the engine has been working... Im sure whatever you're going to do will be fine as long as you keep it away from moving/hot components.

Does wrapping the headers help is it worth doing? I have no cowl or ram air hood

It's extremely effective. Rather than the headers radiating heat into the engine bay, heat is trapped inside, which also helps with exhaust scavaging, which may be good for a few extra ponies. Biggest reason I did it was so I didn't burn my plug wires. The get pretty close to the primaries when you're running longtubes. IF you so wrap your headers, WEAR GLOVES! The fiberglass will stay in your skin or a week and get into any shirt you wear. To this day Ill put my SSS hoodie on and my arms will itch.

I agree on wrapping headers for the above reason... Think about all the flimsy plastic wire loom all over the engine, that doesnt melt. Like said as long as you dont place whatever your going to use right on top of the exhaust youll be fine anywhere else in the engine bay.

Thanks homie :thumbs:

Yeah I just kept 2 buckets of water by me while I work. Soak the exhaust wrap in water. This will make it easier to work with. Plus, it'll stretch nice and tight when you wrap it. Then when it dries, it shrinks onto the headers for a perfect fit. It's kinda tricky and time consuming, but I like it. Stainless headers do look pretty though, and it sucks to have to cover them up.