Help! Sputtering.

cb2big4u

So on my way to work this morning and I get right around the corner from my job. Truck starts sputtering really bad and check engine light blinks like there is a misfire. After another 100 feet the truck died completely. Coasting into my workplace luckily. I try to start it back up and I have to give it throttle to start then it sputters out. I can smell a really strong gas smell also. Nothings leaking and everything looks tight.

Truck has 120k on it and no problems other than trans that I had rebuilt.

I was thinking fuel filter. Anyone care to take a swing?

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

I will try and pull the code tomorrow as my truck is at work.

Anyway to be sure its fuel pump before I spend the 300+ for a new one?

Fuel pump is running and there is line pressure at the rails. I took it to a shop. Hopefully he can figure it out. I use it for work so I can't have downtime on it. :(

So the mechanic said it was something with the intake valve springs. Has no compression in cylinders 7 and 5. Also said that it is possible the piston could have attacked the valve. In that case I would have to pull the heads.

This sucks but I guess new springs cost less than fuel pump...I'm gonna try and replace the springs and see if that fixes it.

Sound legitimate?

O.O wow not good. odd you would break 2 intake valve springs at the same time. hopefully your 5 and 7 pistons didnt kiss those valves too much. both 5 and 7 not having compression sounds more head gasket failure to me. guess you'll find out soon. good luck.