Does this happen to anyone else?

This doesn't happen very often (maybe once every few months), but when I go to put my truck in reverse or drive, sometimes it goes into neutral instead. And I don't notice it until I give it gas to take off and my engine just revs. I just put it in park and then back into drive or reverse again and it works. And I know it's a neutral because I sometimes slowly roll forward or backward depending on where I'm parked. Kinda weird. I've never had any transmission problems before and I'm not hard on my truck when I drive it.

Is this a common problem or is my transmission slowly going out?

Check your bolts on the shift selector. Check your bushing also
there must be excessive play in the shifter or selector mechanism.I am not sure how the transmission gear is selected at the tranny(electrically or manually) but bushings do rot/wear and nuts/bolts do come loose.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

The shift selector bolts to the trans pan. Is electronic, hence the electronic gear display on dash. On the TBSS (regular TBs too) the bushing will break and the cable will just hang, leaving you on whatever gear it was in before you tried to shift. Ask me how I know.... Lol. Never can tell. Just get under there and check it out

Edited by Grocery Getter (see edit history)

There is a sensor that slides over a stud on the driver's side of your transmission. And that sensor is what informs your instrument cluster what gear the trans is currently in. So it may be slightly misaligned to where the IC shows D or R, but really its in N, if that makes sense.. There are two alignment tabs on each side of the sensor held on by 13mm bolts. Put the vehicle in neutral, loosen the bolts, then center the sensor. Tighten the sensor back down and then verify to see each gear is what it says it is on the IC. The transmission is manually engaged from PRND through a cable that twists that stud, but the output to the driver on the IC is electronically interpreted by that sensor.

If you put it into park, slowly switch to reverse, then neutral, 3,2,and 1, then slowly climb your way back up, does it ever say its in neutral when its in D or vice versa?

Edited by MID12sSSS (see edit history)