New here, What to do?

55chevy

I am new as you can see from my posts. I am currently thinking of getting an SS truck. My local dealer still has a new 03 in red that I am going to drive today.

I have some questions:

1) Any year better than others? Changes etc.

2) How has the room in the back been? ie:baby seat :) This will be my second car.

3) Easily modded performance wise? Which order?

4) Ease of lowering?

5) Problem areas to be aware of?

6) How much should I pay?

7) Color? Curretly have a black Lexus GS400, looks good but is a pain in the *** to keep up to my standards. How is the red or blue?

Thanks for taking the time to help out a new member. Hopefully I will be an owner soon.

Thanks again!!

1)  Any year better than others?  Changes etc.

Nope. Very little has changed in 03-04 and only a couple intems in 05 (electric fans being the most notable).

2)  How has the room in the back been?  ie:baby seat :) This will be my second car.

I have only had a couple nephews back there, and they were happy enough. The back seats are plastic, not "leather" like the front.

3)  Easily modded performance wise?  Which order?

Just get the Radix supercharger and your done :D But seriously, there are lots of options, depending on what you want to do and how much you have to spend.

4)  Ease of lowering?

Some guys have, but not me. I seem to recall that some guys who lowerd their trucks had to be careful on the alignment of the rear differental.

5)  Problem areas to be aware of?

Just what is common to Silverados. Steering shaft problems and tailgate cables. Take a close look at the cladding on the sides. Early in the 03 year, some folks had trouble with it coming loose. Another common complaint is "freeway bounce". It seems the expansion joints on some concrete freeways are just the right distance apart to setup an annoying bounce in the cab. This is not just the SS, but seems to be slightly worse on the SS due to the heavier wheels/tires.

6)  How much should I pay?

As little as possible. :D I would guess an new 03 would be in the low 30K to high 20K region. That dealer has to be anxious to get rid of that truck by now :D

7)  Color?  Curretly have a black Lexus GS400, looks good but is a pain in the *** to keep up to my standards.  How is the red or blue?

Be careful mentioning colors around here... You are liable to start an agument about which is better (kind of a running joke around here). :jester: I know blue is pretty easy to keep up. I would imagine red is also rather easy as well. As you know, black shows all the dirt :shakehead:

I have been very pleased with my SS. It goes down twisty roads, dirt roads and 1/4 mile roads quite well, with style and comfort :thumbs:

Thanks for the response, I know my questions were lengthy. I have to be honest, being a chevy man it pains me to say I am also looking at the 03 harley F150 for comparisons.

Thanks

1)  Any year better than others?  Changes etc.

Nope. Very little has changed in 03-04 and only a couple intems in 05 (electric fans being the most notable).

2)  How has the room in the back been?  ie:baby seat :) This will be my second car.

I have only had a couple nephews back there, and they were happy enough. The back seats are plastic, not "leather" like the front.

3)  Easily modded performance wise?  Which order?

Just get the Radix supercharger and your done :D But seriously, there are lots of options, depending on what you want to do and how much you have to spend.

4)  Ease of lowering?

Some guys have, but not me. I seem to recall that some guys who lowerd their trucks had to be careful on the alignment of the rear differental.

5)  Problem areas to be aware of?

Just what is common to Silverados. Steering shaft problems and tailgate cables. Take a close look at the cladding on the sides. Early in the 03 year, some folks had trouble with it coming loose. Another common complaint is "freeway bounce". It seems the expansion joints on some concrete freeways are just the right distance apart to setup an annoying bounce in the cab. This is not just the SS, but seems to be slightly worse on the SS due to the heavier wheels/tires.

6)  How much should I pay?

As little as possible. :D I would guess an new 03 would be in the low 30K to high 20K region. That dealer has to be anxious to get rid of that truck by now :D

7)  Color?  Curretly have a black Lexus GS400, looks good but is a pain in the *** to keep up to my standards.  How is the red or blue?

Be careful mentioning colors around here... You are liable to start an agument about which is better (kind of a running joke around here). :jester: I know blue is pretty easy to keep up. I would imagine red is also rather easy as well. As you know, black shows all the dirt :shakehead:

I have been very pleased with my SS. It goes down twisty roads, dirt roads and 1/4 mile roads quite well, with style and comfort :thumbs:

Dcairns answered all your questions real good, Just if your thinking of getting a harley truck, this is my honest opinion. For the money you are going to spend on a 2wd truck you can get an AWD truck that depending were you live it will be very helpful in the snow or wet pavement not to mention the launch from the line that this truck is well knowed for. Mods for the SS are easy and just from a simple PCM tuning you can get up to 32hp, MY point is I like the harley but for the money I will get an SS. Get the SS and a Radix and wave to the Harley as you pass by. I have a 6 month old baby and have no problems fitting the car seat in the back. Usually I get more space if I place the carseat in the middle though.

Welcome to the forum and enjoy the mods and info that it will bring :seeya:

I have a nice Silverado SS for sale if you are interested in a used one.

Dont want to whore the thread just throwing it out there. I too have a baby seat in mine and plenty of room too. SS's are sweet trucks you'll love one I know. Welcome to the site and welcome to the fastest way to empty your pockets :driving:

Jonathan

OK, Just spent a couple of hours with a brand new 03' red, onstar,cd changer, chromes, xm satellite radio SS. Drove great, goes down the freeway nice. The back was a little tight for my 3 yr olds baby seat but thank goodness for a short wife. (so she can move her seat up, not so I can put her in the back :D ) With the current rebates for the 04' and without dickering at all I am already at $31000. How does that sound to you in the know??

Thanks again for all the input.

Dean

I drove th HD minutes before driving the SSS and the difference is night and day. The quality of the SSS is top notch, not perfect, but top notch. My 2yr old does fine in the back but it does need to be in the middle. AWD is worth it. I would get that price lower...the SSS is not selling that well and hopefully the dealer is trying to get them off of the lot.

I am going back today to hammer on them to see where we are. With this being an 03 I am hoping for 28-29000.

Should I try to hit them up for a hard toneau cover? What make is popular?

Thanks

Dean

PS- Black is a PITA but looks great done right. I just don't want to have to worry about it as much as my Black Lexus.

• 2 weeks later...

don't bother working them for the hard toneau cover it costs the same either way. If a dealer "throws in" something like that it is still reflected in their total cost of the vehicle. So all having them throw something in really does is raise that bottom line by that much... Or more if they mark it up. If your going to buy it anyway just know how much you can get it for and know with out it included the truck would be that much less.

Archived