Cold Air Intakes

1ChevySS

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
johnsen, after you do the modification, do a write up on the details of how you did it and what it took to complete. Pictures would be great as well. :cheers:

yeah i will do a write up. the price is the only thing holding me back right now. the air box is about $350 and the scoop is about $150. it's pretty pricey, but it's the best kit for chevys. it's tax time and i owe, you know how that goes. as for pictures , i don't have a digital camara, so i don't know how to post them. :thumbs::cheers::chevy::flag:

:cry: So, it's a $500. expense, WOW, that is heavy. One would think that you could manufacture the pipe that goes down to the Break vent huh.

:cry: So, it's a $500. expense, WOW, that is heavy. One would think that you could manufacture the pipe that goes down to the Break vent huh.

yeah, the more i look at it, the more i think your right. it doesn't look that difficult, it's pretty much a straight shot and it would save me $150. :thumbs::chevy:

Ive got a UPD intake on my truck, I think it is better than the Volant. Im also planning on running my own intake tube out of the bottom into the vent of my truck as well.

smoke_lg.jpg

www.ultimatepd.com

how does this kit work. is there a cover underneth that keeps the filter in? i look at it and i just can't figure out how it draws air in. :crazy:

It bolts on to the stock air box, the air box is not where the problems are, the restrictions are in the parts that this kit replaces. I have the volant on my other truck, and the UPD kit is better. There are dyno numbers from the 2 on www.LS1tech.com and the volant is not better. the only good thing about the volant is the fact that it has the hole in the bottom for the cold air scoop. I am just going to make my own.

• 6 months later...

I did a lot of SOTP testing of a home-made cold air kit in my Avalanche.

I cut a 4" hole in the bottom of the stock airbox, and ran an aluminum dryer hose down to the tow-hook area.

I ran all sorts of configs in the bottom airbox. Stock snorkel in place, both inlets open. One blocked, the other open. Vise versa. Snorkel removed, both inlets open. etc. etc.

The best responce I could get up at highway speeds, was both inlets blocked off, to help catch all that air that was coming in. I had a decent amount of more power up there. It was noticeable, but definitely not a huge difference.

BUT, around town the truck suffered HORRIBLY. It was a complete dog, and got horrible mileage. (from 17 down to 12mpg)

I did an experiment where I pulled the lid of the airbox, while the truck was running. Nothing happened. I put a screwdriver TIP near the MAF, and the truck stumbled. Put the handle up next to the streen, and the truck stalled.

I came to the conclusion that the general did his homework with the design of the stock bottom end of the airbox. The way the two inlets are designed must limit turbulence.

I believe there is power to be found in the upper end of the intake... A stock upper end is like stock cylinder heads. A UPD sort of 'ports' the stock intake.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm active duty Army, but also work p/t at Advance Auto Parts....waiting patiently for a K & N FIPK to be produced for our trucks..will keep y'all posted....

Joseph

03 SS

Victory Red

Good to see more military on here :flag: Navy, myself.

HT3 Myself , There are only 2 rates in the Navy H.T.'s and wannabe's . I found the best price for the Volant Cold Air at HYPERFORMANCE AUTOMOTIVE CENTER $266.40 with free shipping ... :thumbs:http://www.hyperformanceauto.com/manCat1VOL.asp ....................That doesnt include the ram air portion

Archived