Torque Converter!?!?!?!

I have a 2003 Silverado ss. approx. 5500lb, 500hp projected, awd. I was set on ordering a 3400 multidisc lockup converter based on what I have read on the forums and have been told by members as well as friends who have a lot of experience with performance mods on these trucks. I talk to my tranny guy about it and he says "why??" you only need a single, trust me. so I call PI and ProTorque both say the same thing. no need for a multi that I should find out why I need one because if im going to blow it it will happen at wot lockup, which it should NOT be tuned for. with the stats on my truck both companies and my trans guy cant understand why I want a multidisc. that the single will hold 6-800 easy. gr_eek2.gifso whats your opinion?? daily driver!

I have a single. Alot of guys like the multi disk. I figured with the hp ill have it will be fine. I DD mine and have taken it to the track about 5 times n made about 25 passes on it and its fine. I'm sure brad or Brian can answer this.

you basically have what my truck will have when im done. im trying to decide if I should get a multi disc or a single converter. tranny guy and both companies said don't lock up at wot, but I know my tuner feels different. reliability is more important than how fast I can do a 1/4 pass. so I prob wont lock it up. but I also want to do it right so do I get a multi? or do I save a bunch of money cuz the single will be just fine?

so many conflicting opinions. this thread is a lot of single disc and pt.net is a lot of multi! I asked if there would be any difference between the two daily driving on the road, and I was told none, I would feel no difference between the two converters

It might depend on horsepower, I am supercharged and was told to go with multi disk 26-2800 stall by both Circle D and Vigilante, I am not a tranny guy just stating was I was told.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

I've had zero issue with mine and it's been in almost a year now. Drive great and it has cut alot of mid 1.8 60ft times. Not to bad for a 3k stall. Full street weight with trailer package n all lol.

Multi disc will hold better at WOT but you will DEFINATELY feel it when the converter locks at cruising speed. You'll think you'll have a 5 speed with a harsh gear change.

X2

I have a PI 2800 Mulit Disc. I love it. The multi is piece of mind for forced induction, you wont lose any towing capabilities, and like Steve said, it slams at lock up. Definitely feels like a 5 speed. Kinda neat.