Devils Own Meth kit???

I just think that before someone makes a statement about something, they might want to do a little research before giving someone advise..... The second sentence on Devils Own opening page states that it lowers IAT temps 50-200 degrees...

If you could actually rely on everything that every manufacturer posts about their products then there would be no need to post on forums such as this to ask others about their opinions and experiences. Im in no way shape or form saying that you are wrong, or that a methanol kit will not lower your IAT's. Im simply stating that out of everyone I know that run methanol on their vehicles either currently or in the past, the MAJORITY of them saw little or no drop in their IAT readings at the sensor. If the research you're referring to me doing is simply reading someones website about their products then perhaps your idea of research needs to be broadened.

I just think that before someone makes a statement about something, they might want to do a little research before giving someone advise.....

I agree. Dont believe everything ya hear and post bold statements like "methanol wont lower IATs". Myself and Jason have seen it first hand. Anyway,

Glad to hear you got yourself a good kit! Should do wonders for your radix! Ill have a Radix spacer update this sunday for you. :thumbs:

I agree. Dont believe everything ya hear and post bold statements like "methanol wont lower IATs". Myself and Jason have seen it first hand. Anyway,

Glad to hear you got yourself a good kit! Should do wonders for your radix! Ill have a Radix spacer update this sunday for you. :thumbs:

You are the man!!!! :cheers: ... I have been waiting patiently for your spacer install LOL... The kit is very reasonable and if it works as well as advertised I beleive everyone with a radix should have one, cause I only paid $260 shipping included... Check it out.. I will also post my IAT results for you guys when I do my Meth install... So far my normal driving on a 75-85' day is 115-135' IATS and WOT is 150-185' IAT's... With some icky knock :shakehead: ... I ordered it yesterday and it will be here Friday. (Now thats customer service and fast shipping)... Maybe I will get a chance to install then... I have been waiting years to finally get something to battle IAT's and low octane problems so stand by 11's and low 12's for sure... My future plans still include a 50-75 shot nitrous for track use and I hear that Meth works well with N02... Keep in touch I'll post pics...

Edited by 2003_SuperSport (see edit history)

And thats all fine and dandy for y'all, and Im more than happy that it work 100% as advertised for you. But if you would actually read and try to comprehend what I said, you might understand. I never said METH WILL NOT LOWER YOUR IAT's...what I said was, dont be upset or alarmed if you dont see a drastic drop in IAT, based completely off of other people that I personally know who have been using methanol for years. Results are different for everyone, and not everyone sees a 70* drop in IAT when installing a meth kit. Whether you see a huge drop or no drop at all in IAT at the sensor it doesnt mean the kit isnt working or not performing like it should, it just means that your sensor didnt pick it up. That probably has a lot to do also with where you mount the nozzle, the mixture of water/meth that youre spraying, etc. I was in no way shape or form trying to bash meth kits or say that they dont work, I was just giving my opinion and second hand experience from people with some very respectable turbo/supercharged vehicles. And as far as manufacturers claims on their own websites, if thats all everyone had to go by then we would all have 1000+hp cars and trucks that ran perfectly 100% of the time and we'd all be in credit card debt up to our necks. If you really want to know how a methanol kit works in its entirety then go read something other than the manufacturers website, theres a bit more to it than just cooling off the air in your intake.

I think thats the biggest misunderstanding of methanol kits, lower IAT's. IF you spray before your MAF or IAT sensor you MIGHT see a slight drop in temps. However, what the methanol mixture is doing inside the combustion chamber is where you're getting your benefits from the kit. The air charge thats being mixed with the fuel inside the motor is whats going to help you out. Dont expect to see drastic drops in IAT's from installing a methanol kit because more than likely it wont even show in the IAT's. If you dont see a drop in IAT's dont be afraid and dont assume that you bought the kit for nothing, because its still doing what its designed to do. I have never installed a methanol kit on my own vehicles, but have deducted this info from many others who have had first hand experience with them. Hardly anyone I know with a meth kit on their car or truck has seen a noticeable drop in IAT's before and after install.

Edited by D1SCSS (see edit history)

Ok, I've been reading this to make sure no one gets out of line, but I realized I don't understand how it reduces the iat. Its just spraying a water meth mix into the flow of air going into into the motor. I assume pre iat sensor so you could see a change. But how does it cool the actual air? Or does the air remain the same temp but the sensor cools down from getting hit with a liquid that is as cool as the under hood temp. And is the gain your seeing a result of the iat alowing more timing to motor, and the motor can use the timing because of the octane value of the meth, but the incoming air is really just as hot? Someone explain in detail please

I mean nothing actually cools the air down right? Theres no ice box or intercooler after the meth is sprayed in to the air flow, so how does it cool it?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Edited by shadowsniper3006 (see edit history)

From what I understand about the water/meth injection is that it is best to spray before the IAT sensor so the PCM gets an accurate measurement of the temps and thus advancing timeing. The air charge does drop creating a more dense charge and increasing octane reading. I think that the biggest power improvement is caused by the timing you get back from having a cooler charge. So when you combine more timing, cooler intake charge, and higher octane during boost you get the performance increase as advertised..... Plus you will NEVER have carbon build-up in your motor ever again!!!! It will clean out the carbon within the first couple tanks of water/meth.....

The methanol/water mixture simply converts from a vapor to a gaseous state which absorbs huge amounts of heat, due to the energy required to transform it. Methanol itself has a cooling effect as it evaporates. Which it does very quickly. Poor a drop of methanol on your skin and it'll evaporate almost instantly and feel ice cold, especially if you blow on it. Your IAT sensor will sense this huge drop in temp as it collects on the sensor and almost immediately evaporates, causing a cooling sensation. So 185 degree IATs drop significantly to say 75 degrees or so. While the cooling of the intake charge will produce some power increases, those increases are cancelled by the charge space occupied by the water vapor.There is slightly less room for air and fuel. However, by using up to 50 percent alcohol with the water, additional cooling takes place and the alcohol works as a fuel in the charge. This results in an increase in power. And yes, the biggest gains you'll see from methanol is that it eliminates knock, allowing you to run more boost as well as the full ignition advance. Lower IATs and higher octane work together to create the gains seen from using methanol.

Maybe someone with a better understanding can clear it up better than i can.

I use pure/unmixed methanol in my reservoir. We only have access to 90 octane in AK, and i use methanol solely for higher octane under boost, so i dont have to resort to retarding timing. Also, water vapor isnt a variable at that point. I talked to Zippy to make sure running straight methanol was okay, because i know it can be corrosive if not watered down, and he said that he didnt see a problem with it. So thats what i do. Plus, i wont have to worry about a methanol/water mix freezing if i do drive it in winter.