A\c not blowing cold on 2003 SS.

Sneakystiffler21

My A\C is not blowing cold all the time, some times it will freeze you to death, other times, its luke warm. I had the freon checked and its has the correct pressure. The A\C seems to depend on the RPMs being at least 1500, as long as I'm moving, it's ok most of the time, at a stop, it's luke warm. I replaced the belt on the A\C compressor when I did the serpantine belt the first of the year and everything at the compressor looked ok visually.

Any ideas?

Are you still running the factory clutch fan setup or have you switch to electric fans? Since you say its cold while you're driving but warm when you're stopped I would lean towards not enough air being passed through the condenser when stopped. Obviously when you're driving air is being pushed through it but when stopped you're relying on your fan(s) to pull air through the trans cooler/ ac condenser/ radiator.

Could possibly be the clutch. Most times if the clutch goes you can hear it, it will make a very loud whooshing sound when accelerating (not the most professional description but that's all I could think of to describe it lol). I had a similar problem with my truck a while back and come to find out one of my fan relays had crapped out and only one fan was working and when stopped I wasnt getting nearly enough air flow across the condenser to keep the a/c cool. Does the temp gauge seem to be running higher than normal when sitting in traffic or stopped for a longer period of time? That could also be an issue if the fan clutch isnt working properly.

Factory clutch fan setup, after some more research, I'm wondering if the clutch on the fan is messed up? Until recently, i've not have any issues with it, even on very hot 90 degree plus days.

i would say the main issue is air flow. my 03 will due the same thing, and so does the 2012 Express van i drive at work. i would check your clutch fan for proper operation, clean out the condenser with compressed air thru the fins, water hose with a spray nozzle will work to clean out all the bugs/dust that end up there..best step you can do is e fans..

good luck

I had the same issue right when I bought the truck. Moving was fine and parked or standing in traffic the a/c would blow warm. The clutch setup is definitely to blame but the dealer also replaced the low pressure switch ($12 part) which atleast kept the A/C blowing. Still to this day, it won't blow as cold when still vs when I am moving. I bought e-fans, now just waiting for the $ for a tune. Z06 conversion and new shocks/sways kinda cleaned me out for a bit.