tire humming noise

tanker

Looking for a little insight from all the knowledge that is on this site. Front driver side wheel/ tire is humming at around 15/30mph. The hum gets louder when I apply the brakes. Sounds like I am running mud terrains on really smooth pavement. The hum goes away with higher speed. Could it just be my tires that make it sound like this. I have changed front diffs already and rotated tires. Also it is a 03 SSS on 305/40-22 by nexen. Anyone running these tires notice this?

I have a new t-case. I recently bought a new hub for it also. If this hub does not fix the humming then I really don't know what else to do. I would really like to get the stock wheels and tires for it one day or some ltz wheels. I hate these 22s.

Have you jacked it up to see if there is play in it. If you can shake it back and forth it's the wheel bearing. Is your tire wearing funny? Could be a couple things but if start with the bearing and work my way towards the front diff.

I tried to shake the wheel and had no play. Tire pressure is right on. Bought a new hub anyway. Gonna change It because I have 88k on he truck right now. Sure its gonna need it eventually. I just wouldn't think a street tire would he so loud.

Jason ever since I bought the truck I have been fighting the dealership about the front diff noise which I ended up getting a new t-case out of the fight some how and I fixed the front diff myself. But I really think the tire noise has been there the whole time and I just notice it more now. I believe it is my tires making noise but I just wouldn't think it would be so loud. I am really trying to find some stock wheels and tires which I believe would be a lot quieter.

Yeah that could be. Some tires make more noise than others . My Goodyear GT2 made more noise than my falken ziex did. It does happen. Glad you finally got the front diff taken care of I remember when you were going through that. Maybe try changing your air pressure around a bit and see if it helps.

Yeah that could be. Some tires make more noise than others . My Goodyear GT2 made more noise than my falken ziex did. It does happen. Glad you finally got the front diff taken care of I remember when you were going through that. Maybe try changing your air pressure around a bit and see if it helps.

I confirmed the noise is the tires. I changed my front hub out and still have the dang hum. I think I am going to start looking at some factory wheels and just run a stock set of tires or maybe something similar. That front diff I had rebuilt started making the famous bearing noise again so I bought another diff for a great price and slapped it in. Its nice and smooth now except for tire noise. Thanks once again for help.

Try some different wheels like you said first. I thought i had a bad bearing, but found out it was just my extremly loud nitto 420s after i switched to different tires.. wide tires with crazy tread patterns make some noise..

Different wheels and tires it is. Now I have a excuse to look for new rims.... Thanks for the input.

The way to check your tires for uneven wear is to run your hand over them in both directions. If your fingers grab any of the tire they are either cupped or feathering which will create a humming rumble noise. That is normally caused by lack of tire rotations, air pressure too high or too low, not balancing every 5000 miles. Once the cupping or feathering starts there is no way to correct it and get the tire like it never happened. It could even be a bad belt, one that shifted or is broken in the tire itself.

Just put some new rubber (bridestone Turanzas) on my DD 02 GP they hum at 58-60 then goes away.

Last set of tires bridgestones again were very noisy esp when braking. New set tamed the brake noise.

It loudness depends on pavement. Tires are very suseptible (sp) to road noise