Transmission Swap

Got a 2003 Silverado SS (6.0L gas). The 4L65E in it is shot. So I figure this is a good opportunity to upgrade it to a 6-speed automatic. It's an AWD truck and I'd like to keep it that way. So what are the good 6sp auto trannies out there? Thanks!

Yeah from what I've read you'll need to adapt and run a dedicated tcm. I last checked with a guy who was building an adapter to run the 149 awd transfer case and he wanted somewhere in the $1, 300 range. That's just to be able to bolt your t case to one of the newer 6 speed trans. You are probably in the $6, 000 to do this conversion, if not more. I would suggest a 4l80e upgrade.

I drove a HD Diesel with the 6 speed and absolutely would never go with that transmission. It would keep shifting gears as if it could not make its mind up which gear to stay in. Contractor on my house let me drive it, then he traded it in for an older HD with the 4 speed. Just my opinion, it could have been my driving habit, who knows.

Edited by 03mass (see edit history)

Isn't there a 6L90E in AWD form for the Denali?

Yes, but it isn't viscous coupled like the ss t case is (149). The ss case is more performance oriented. The 6 speed awds, use electronics in the t case that tell the truck apply brake on the wheels that start to spin.

I drove a HD Diesel with the 6 speed and absolutely would never go with that transmission. It would not keep shifting gears as if it could not make its mind up which gear to stay in. Contractor on my house let me drive it, then he traded it in for an older HD with the 4 speed. Just my opinion, it could have been my driving habit, who knows.

If its a Durramax, its the allison behind it, not a 6Lxx

totally different.

I have no issues with the Allison in my worktruck...

Anyway, I posted another thread about my tranny issues, and will suspect talking about swapping it until I have more info from the other thread:

http://www.silveradoss.com/forums/topic/83156-tranny-issues-anyone-have-any-ideas/

• 3 weeks later...

I drove a HD Diesel with the 6 speed and absolutely would never go with that transmission. It would not keep shifting gears as if it could not make its mind up which gear to stay in. Contractor on my house let me drive it, then he traded it in for an older HD with the 4 speed. Just my opinion, it could have been my driving habit, who knows.

SMH....

If its a Durramax, its the allison behind it, not a 6Lxx

totally different.

I must be confused, thank you for the correction sir. After seeing him in a Diesel for 6 months I thought the new 08+ HD Diesels came with an Allison 6spd (my error). When he got his new HD 08 he hated the 6spd (so it must have been gasoline) and traded it back in the same week he bought the 08 and went back to the 06 HD Diesel. I test drove all 3 trucks as he wanted to take my truck for a spin.

My bad, but thank you for the kind correction sir.

Edited by 03mass (see edit history)