Any Experience with Enclosed Powered Subs?

Yeah I kinda figured that a 5 channel amp won't blast your ears out your volume is your control a 5 channel amp is a good way to match your bass to your insides. if you did wanna blast your ears out I would recommend two separate amps one for insides and one big one for bass most good 5 channel amps like that one you have should supply 75x4 and 150x1 that's a good match and your lights shouldn't dim at all you know there's always that one song that comes on the radio that is never loud enough

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah I kinda figured that a 5 channel amp won't blast your ears out your volume is your control a 5 channel amp is a good way to match your bass to your insides. if you did wanna blast your ears out I would recommend two separate amps one for insides and one big one for bass most good 5 channel amps like that one you have should supply 75x4 and 150x1 that's a good match and your lights shouldn't dim at all you know there's always that one song that comes on the radio that is never loud enough

I will have to look up the specs on the amp once I find it. Its an old amp from the late 90's or early 2000's so we will have to see what the power is like.

If the specs are good enough, and that 8" sub is enough bass for me, then I might look into replacing my stock speakers and then hooking them up the that amp.

Edited by diggerdan11 (see edit history)

So I dug up my old 5 channel Alpine amp. I did a little research and it looks like it is from 1996, with RMS power of 30w x 4 and 80w x1 for the subwoofer

IMG_20130905_164132_060_zps69414f83.jpg

So I think my plan is to go ahead and wire it up the weekend to my Rockford Fosgate 8" sub I have, and see if it works. IDK if 80W will be enough but I think it will hopefully be enough bass to make a more full sound. I could also eventually hook this amp up to my regular speakers (after they are replaced) since it has twice the RMS power as my headunit. If this is not enough bass for me then I can just replace it with a different amp in the future.

The biggest issue Im going to have is that this old school 5 channel amp only has RCA inputs for Front and Rear. Modern 5 channel amps have Front, Rear and Sub RCA imputs. I can use the Sub RCA jacks from my head unit and plug them into either the front or rear imputs on the amp in order to power my sub, then I will have the ability to control the sub power from my head unit.

If I hook the amp up to my regular speakers I am going to have to run RCA's from the Front and Rear jacks in the head unit, and if I run a subwoofer too I wont be able to control it from the head unit.

Jl Audio w7, I have the enclosures in my basement that fit under the rear seats.

Did you raise the seat to fit them under? I had trouble squeezing in Boston 12" G3's.

I was going to recommend the JL Stealthbox that goes in the bottom of console, they sound great just not cheap.

http://www.jlaudio.com/car-audio-stealthbox-chevrolet-silverado-chevrolet-gmc-full-size-suv-03-06-trucks-03-07

That being said. I happen to have an older 5 Channel Alpine Amp just sitting around. I think the Mono portion puts out around 100W I also have a 8" Sub in a small box that I could install in my truck and see if that is plenty enough bass for what I want. If not then I already have the wires installed and I can look into another setup.

Give it try the cost is minimal, the amp should take the full feed and do a low pass filter,with gain adjustment so the sound can be dialed in the way you like it. I had a slightly newer version of the amp in an 01 extended cab Z71 and it did well for what you are describing you want. The 8" will give a full sound just won't hit real deep.

Good luck with the install.

So I went ahead and installed that amp and sub in my truck. It sounds pretty good and should be enough bass for me. I just need to build a better box. I also much think about investing in some decent speakers next. I could always hook those new speakers to this amp as well.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

I don't want to spend too much. I am normally a big Alpine guy and I found a pretty good deal on skm s type components that I might pick up. I have had R types in other vehicles and I loved them. I just don't know if I'm willing to spend the extra money.

I used 61/2 alpine type r in my rear door sounds a lot better then the 4x6 stock Bose

I have 6 1/2 alpine type S in the front and back doors. Very crisp and sound great. Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2

Yeah im going to do components in both front and back. I would really like the R-types but dont want to spend the money, good to know the S types sound good. Because I think thats what Im going to go with. Im thinking about doing the same in my Subaru as well.

I have the same speakers. Very good sound...

well that settles it then, I have heard enough good things about the S-type components Im going to go ahead and pick up a couple pairs. I know that R-types sound great, but if the S-types also sound great I might as well save some coin. I can get 2 pairs of S-type components for the price of 1 set of r-types.

They are both a good set as I said earlier the type s require less power to run so actually if your power source rms is closer to the type s then they can actually sound better then the type r speakers. Speakers don't like to be under powered it causes distortion and can result in voice coil damage. You can't just buy the baddest speaker and then go cheap on the amp the amp is the heart of the system it would almost be better to get an amp first and then get speakers that match the rms output of the amp. Not saying your amp won't work just pair the output of the speakers to your amp for best results. Also amps have come a long way in the last ten years so some of the class amps of today have less then half the distortion of amps of the past.