Any Experience with Enclosed Powered Subs?

So I would really like to add a little extra bass to my stereo system. I currently have an aftermarket Pioneer touch screen and stock speakers. I have been thinking about adding a sub, but I am not looking to try to rattle my windows. Back in the day when I was young and stupid I had 4 12" Subs with 2000W jammed into a regular cab truck, and now I am paying for it. I scalled way back in my 2001 chevy and my SS, and only had a single 10" with 300W which of course was always turned down pretty low.

I just want to make my stereo sound a little more "full" if you know what I mean.

I could buy a $120 sub box for under my seat, buy a fairly inexpensive $100 sub, and a cheap $100 amp. But $320 is quite a bit of money to spend on a sub woofer system that I would probably not even turn up a 1/8 full.

So I have been thinking about buying something like this.

http://www.amazon.com/Boss-Audio-BASS800-Amplified-Subwoofer/dp/B000OT31IU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1378233125&sr=8-1&keywords=Boss+BASS800

I could mount it to the hump under my rear seat. It would not take up very much room, and would still allow storage under my rear seats, and hopefully it would give me just a little more umph to my system.

So do any of you guys have any experience with similar enclosed systems? Also has anyone had any experience with BOSS? I know they are a cheap brand but IDK if they are a crappy brand or not.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I use to work on auto electronics and still do on the side. That unit is garbage. Installed one on a tundra. It heats up quickly and shuts down. Boss is no good. Imo... go on craigslist to buy a sub and amp. I would go alpine or pioneer. Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2

Boss in most cases is junk. MTX makes a nice set up like that, as well as infinity. I think they call it a bass link.
X2. And kicker puts a nice one out also.Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2

I use to work on auto electronics and still do on the side. That unit is garbage. Installed one on a tundra. It heats up quickly and shuts down. Boss is no good. Imo... go on craigslist to buy a sub and amp. I would go alpine or pioneer. Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2

X2. And kicker puts a nice one out also. Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2

Well good to know that BOSS is crap. I will look into other options. I found a Kenwood that is not too bad of a price. I will have to look at the Kicker or Infinity one.

I may just go ahead and get a sub and amp. I have always been a huge Alpine fan, but I might buy a Pioneer as well.

Those JL Audio boxes are pretty sweet, but they dont make one for my crew cab, and wow are they expensive.

I think i might just go ahead with this box:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CHEVY-SILVERADO-CREWCAB-HD-2001-07-SINGLE-10-GREY-SUBWOOFER-SUB-ENCLOSURE-BOX-/271159942517

This Amp:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BLQ2T9M/ref=ox_sc_act_title_4?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3ADWMNXT7FS32

This Sub:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007YK0FFE/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A18CQ5FFITKTLU

I would like to go with an R-type but it wont fit in that box, and I think and S type will be plenty for me. And 250W is plenty as well.

Those JL Audio boxes are pretty sweet, but they dont make one for my crew cab, and wow are they expensive.

I think i might just go ahead with this box:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CHEVY-SILVERADO-CREWCAB-HD-2001-07-SINGLE-10-GREY-SUBWOOFER-SUB-ENCLOSURE-BOX-/271159942517

This Amp:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BLQ2T9M/ref=ox_sc_act_title_4?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3ADWMNXT7FS32

This Sub:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007YK0FFE/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A18CQ5FFITKTLU

I would like to go with an R-type but it wont fit in that box, and I think and S type will be plenty for me. And 250W is plenty as well.

To be honest.... the S type is built just as well as the R type. I had 2 R types before. Now I have 2-10" S types in the SS and they sound just as good. And the S types are a little bit cheaper in price. That amp will definetly be enough for the 1 sub. When I worked at my buddies electronics shop.... all we would use are the S types. Never had any complaints.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2

Edited by 2tone06SS (see edit history)

Not a fan of the box but the amp and sub should work great for the money. I had type r alpine 10" subs those were the best subs to date I have owned hit hard with 1150 watts two 10" 4ohm dual voice coils bridged to 1/2 an ohm in a ported box I had those in the extended cab of my s10 an it was stupid loud It would take the breath out of your lungs. that was back in 2006 just before I bought the SS

I agree, get a normal box and amp. I didnt want the loud as window rattling either. My Alpine type R and Audiobahn amp make my truck sound perfect. Its just enough to hear the bass but not enough to drive you insane. My upgraded door speakers also help with that for clarity. Basically if you want a clean sounding system you wont be able to build a decent one for less than $200

The best setup I would recommend is getting a double din touchscreen with RCA outputs a quality 5 channel amp alpine type r surrounds and alpine tyre r sub in a SS truck specific box under the rear seat. you don't wanna over power your insides with bass I'm 33 years old now and have learned the hard way a long time ago almost no deck is gonna be able to keep up with a bass amp and sub by itself it also needs an upgrade in power it also helps to keep the rms of the speakers close to the rms of the amp I've seen to many times where someone has gotten the baddest speaker that is way out of the league of the amp there running and burnt out the voice coil due to under powering the sub

I run an 8" Skar audio sub in a sealed box I got off ebay for under the seat. Sounds great and provides the perfect fill if you ask me. If I want it louder I could get a bigger amp or a ported box. Sub was $100 straight from manufacturer since they had B stock, ams like $100 off woofertetc., and box was like 70 shipped.

The best setup I would recommend is getting a double din touchscreen with RCA outputs a quality 5 channel amp alpine type r surrounds and alpine tyre r sub in a SS truck specific box under the rear seat. you don't wanna over power your insides with bass I'm 33 years old now and have learned the hard way a long time ago almost no deck is gonna be able to keep up with a bass amp and sub by itself it also needs an upgrade in power it also helps to keep the rms of the speakers close to the rms of the amp I've seen to many times where someone has gotten the baddest speaker that is way out of the league of the amp there running and burnt out the voice coil due to under powering the sub

First off, I have a double din touchscreen. Second there is no need for a 5 Channel Amp, my head unit is plenty to keep up with the bass. Im not planning on building an earth rattling system, I just want something that makes my system a little more full sounding. Hell a stock Bose sub would be plenty for what I want. I can see adding a 5 channel amp if you are planning on blasting your system all the time, but not for what I want.

That being said. I happen to have an older 5 Channel Alpine Amp just sitting around. I think the Mono portion puts out around 100W I also have a 8" Sub in a small box that I could install in my truck and see if that is plenty enough bass for what I want. If not then I already have the wires installed and I can look into another setup.