thinking about getting these heads...

idahoBLKss

My friend is selling a brand new set of trick flow heads that I'm interested in. My question is what will it bump my compression to if I put them on my stock lq9? They are tea/TFS 220's with a 65cc chamber. Also what kind of power gain would I be looking at here. Thanks In Advanced.

Edited by idahoBLKss (see edit history)

With the turbo you got I would think you'd be better off putting a head with a big chamber on there and let that big turbo go to work.

Your turbo with 65cc head would be like Kate Upton with a breast reduction lol

Edited by poopnewton (see edit history)

CNC'd? It all depends on the price IMO. They will flow better than the 317's and have a better combustion chamber if they are the ones I am thinking of. If I were you (I am glad I'm not) I would put some inconel exhaust valves in and port match the intake to the heads if you do get them. Keep the gaskets and studs and add the trunion upgrade to the rockers. Also look into some 3/8" push rods and some lifters and trays while your at it.

Sent from my Motorola RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk 2

Extreme no. A little more than needed maybe but you won't have to run as Much boost to get the same gains and being on e85 you will have a better combustion chamber to reduce the detonation and help with the tune. I don't remember your can specs but that might also help with bleeding off some cylinder pressure. Those heads have the same springs that I am running and I tested every spring before install and they were perfect. I know what Brian did to the heads and it will make the exhaust flow very well on them for a fact as well as what he did on the intake side. Plus if he installed the springs you should have around 155# of seat pressure which will keep the valves stable with that boost.

After I looked at those heads I remember seeing them for sale on there and honestly if I wasn't set up for the rectangular port I would have snagged them.

Sent from my Motorola RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk 2

Jon,

Not sure how much of this you knew or not:

You can figure the compression with a zero deck, which is how most guys do it, or I actually checked my truck and the piston comes out .008. I only found one article that said the lq9 was supposed to be .010 out of hole and I just found another that said .006. Most guys dont figure in the head gasket bore diameter either, but I used it to ask another question.

65 cc head with zero deck ls9 gasket=10.809

65 head with .008 deck ls9 gasket=11.026

Just for ref.

65 head zero deck stock gasket=10.864

The bore diameter on the gasket on the ls9 is 4.1 where as the stock is 4.02. I guess I wouldn't like the idea of a .051 tall ring around the top of the deck where carbon can form or possibly effect the amount of quench or some other small factor I'll never even know about. In theory it gives you more gasket in between cylinders as well if that evens makes a difference. Any reason your choosing the ls9 gasket? Is the 5 to 7 layer difference that big? Cometic also offers a 4.03-4.04 if that helps. You could also get a cometic 4.030 gasket a liitle thicker to run closer to stock compression if you or zippy thinks you need to.

4.030x.060 on a zero deck=10.618

As for the heads, there better then stock, but I wouldn't use a head under 225, I would prefer a 235. When I had my stock ported heads tea said even they were around 227cc. You will get the chamber benifit though. At least the 225 head seems to eat advance with no kr. Im able to run 33 degrees of advace, so I can see that really helping your cause. If your going to put that amount of money into those heads, why not a few hundred more for the larger runners. However, the larger runners will reduce your boost, and im not sure how that reduced boost but more actaul air flow effects the final hp number. Remeber tf heads require roller tip rockers.

Edit: are those the fast as cast heads? Have they been worked over like hinted above? If not, just for ref.

220 flow intake only vs stage 2.5 ported 68cc stock heads

.1=67 vs 68

.2= 133 vs 140.4

.3= 211 vs 208.7

.4= 263 vs 267.1

.5= 297 vs 302.6

.55=306 vs 318.8

.6= 314 vs 328.7

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk 2

Edited by shadowsniper3006 (see edit history)

What about the compression bump ryan? Won't it be a lil extreme for the boost I want to run?

I didn't follow your build close enough to know exactly what your goals are but before you buy those heads I'd read this.

http://xcceleration.com/cr-boost%20101.htm

From what I have read I think you'd be better off using a head that will let your turbo push as much boost/air as possible through your motor. Maybe with the E85 you can get away with those heads but on pump gas there is no way I'd run those heads. The higher compression ratio will not give you as much top end horsepower as more boost will. Just saying.

Thanks for the great info guys . I know nothing about heads and pistons sizes at this point and this is why a called upon you guys for help. At this point I'm going to pass on These heads it just sucks that they would bump my compression so much because its my friendthat is selling them and he lives in the same town as me and he was going to give me a killer deal on them but i just dont think they are the right head for what Im Wantkng to do here so I'm going to pass on them. Plus I need to build a short block first. I think I'm going to do a lsx427 so I'm going to have all kinds of questions for you guys lol.

If your going to do short block you could use dished pistons to lower your compression ratio and maybe still use those heads. I don't know much other than I wouldn't put a 65cc head on a stock lq9 shortblock and expect to be able to boost it enough to have the fastest SSS ever. If that's Still what your shooting for.