Just got an 2003 ss

drs6296

I just bought an AWD 2003 Silverado SS.....Black....89k miles.......paid $13k to a lady who received the truck in her divorce settlement. It is a one owner truck.

What should I fix first?

Is it necessary to have the fluids flushed (oil life says 90% on dash, not sure about diff or other fluids?)

Double Din deck? (was thinking Alpine)

Subs? (what size will fit underneath the rear seats?)

Headlights? (I am overwhelmed by the choices)

Floor Mats? (the ss floor mats look nice, thoughts on a company?)

I am a first time truck owner and am super excitied about the truck......I will post pics when I am on my home computer

Congrats on the truck and welcome to the site from IA lots of good info to be found here

As far as you list goes :

looks like she would have just changed the oil as 100% is fresh oil, but I would service ALL driveline fluids (tranny,front and rear diffs,t-case) other than that might consider a coolant flush

I added a double din myself i chose kenwood with navi but have a double din in makes it look alot smoother than factory

For sub u can fit a 12 under the rear folding seat and still have it fold, I have a for sale add with some audio stuff in it but I just sold a box for under the seat

http://www.silveradoss.com/forums/topic/83235-fs-subsampbox/

Headlights I went to eBay for a smoked set and love em

Floor mats weather tech is the way to go IMO

Edited by BLNAWAY (see edit history)

I would at least have the fluids checked, but it sounds like your ok on oil.

As far as a deck goes. Definitely go with a double din. I have always been a huge Alpine fan, and have owned almost exclusively alpine since i got my first vehicle. But IMO the Alpine double dins are over priced for what functionality there is. I would personally recommend a pioneer double din. I think they more and better functionality and they are much less expensive.

You can fit 12's no problem as long as they are fairly shallow. There are lots of different boxes out there, just check the specs on the box before you buy a sub.

Whatevery you do with your headlights dont go with the ugly projector ones. Most people on here either clear there own, buy ebay clear ones, or ebay smoked ones. I have had both clear and smoked ones and loved both.

BTW welcome to the site and congrats on the purchase.

Edited by diggerdan11 (see edit history)

I would first go over all the fluids. since alot of people dont do it.

Oil and filter

Coolant

Trans fluid, filter and gasket

Front and rear diff

grease all suspension parts

Inspect and or replace belt

Plugs wires

Sea foam in the gas tank and the vacuum line to clean up carbon

Bleed all brakes

Atleast thats what i do with any new car I get, that way I know everything is in working order and I dont have to worry about it.

I just bought a 2003 SS Silverado today and am excited as well had a 2000 4.8l reg cab and im so happy for more room, power, handling, and well everything else lol its victory red but not the greatest paint. 116k miles runs good and is almost all factory except the previous owner did not have the stock SS wheels which sucks but oh well he has brand new tires on the 20" american racing wheels. I love this thing already!!

To the OP, being new to the truck myself first thing I've gotta say use the search button. Any ideas you might have, have probably already been discussed. For instance, I wanted to restore my SS to looking like an actual SS so I ordered the bumper cover. Didn't know it needed different brackets that cost more then the cover. You will find some great information here. As far as what to do first, I'd go with Blown 346 list up above. Almost matches exactly what I've done to this point.

this site is going to cater only to the 2003+ SS. :)

Great words of wisdom that should be mandatory reading for all new members about the search button as it is your friend.

Welcome aboard and enjoy the site.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2