Dog help please

kissfans03ss

Let me start of by saying this Thursday/ Friday night my brother had to put down his dog Winston.Winston was a rescue dog at 9 months of age and was a loyal and loving soul for 15 years.

The reason I am writing this is because he was fine that whole and up to about 6:30-7:00pm when heavy rain and lightning came through our area(Winston would know when a storm was coming and freak out till it passed).As the storm approached he started vomiting, pacing, and clicking his teeth/jaw so we took him to the vet who said Winston started coughing up blood and his stomach and kidney were both enlarged and he was in a lot of pain almost like he could not pass gas.The vet also said it is not uncommon in later breed dogs(Winston was a shepherd mix) to have their stomach twist on them.

Has someone years of this or experienced it?, I just want more answeres as it is hard to see a dog just go down hill that fast.

Thanks guys.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

In certain breed dogs like shepherds, labs etc, stomach twisting isnt un common. Its all in how the dog eats. If they engulf there food or water, or eat to fast, they take in air, thats what causes the stomach to twist. If its not found within a few hours the risk of the dogs life is most likely fatal. It is very possible to have animals die this way as its a very difficult surgery, but also dangerous at the same time as the animal gets older.

Edited by Blown 346 (see edit history)

Winston was usually feed dry food but his eating habits were strange meaning if someone was in the kitchen he would eat his food or if someone was in the other room he might take a mouthful of kibble and bring it in the other room drop it on the ground and eat it one at a time he never seemed to rush eating but thanks guys for your replies.

Sorry to hear about Winston. Sounds like he had a good long life but it's gotta be tough to see your bro. going through a tough loss like that.

I'd heard of the stomach twist problem with horses but not with dogs.

My black Lab "Buddy" is my best bud, (Well, tied with my G.F., I guess), so sometimes he's #1 sometimes #2.

The avatar is Jake, gone two years now. RIP old pal.

Sorry for your's and your brother's loss Jim ...

Yes, stomach twisting is quite common in bigger dogs. Along with his age and Stress/Anxiety of the pending storm is probably what caused it. It is quite common in dogs that eat extremely fast, regardless of dry or wet ...

For a lack of a better resource on the topic, did you Google it?

Sorry for your's and your brother's loss Jim ...

Yes, stomach twisting is quite common in bigger dogs. Along with his age and Stress/Anxiety of the pending storm is probably what caused it. It is quite common in dogs that eat extremely fast, regardless of dry or wet ...

For a lack of a better resource on the topic, did you Google it?

Shuan no I have not Googled it yet.

Thanks for your replies and kind words guys.